Miter saw recommendations

Old 12-20-04, 08:18 AM
KY Joe
Visiting Guest
Miter saw recommendations

I am in the process of researching miter saws, getting ready to add one to my woodowrking shop, but which one!! There are so many types and sizes, I'm overwhelmed! Most of my shop work will be small stock projects though I do plan on rebuilding a deck of pressure treated 2X12s and adding maple 2x12 built-in shelves to my den! I am leaning toward a 12" dual bevel sliding saw like the Bosch 4412! I would appreciate any suggestions on what I should look for in a good saw and also what I should stay away from in a BAD saw!

Thanks in advance for your input, KY Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-04, 06:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi KY Joe,
-I do lots of different stuff and so have a need for a lof different tools
( well that's a good excuse anyway ). I've had a 12" De Walt with an 60 tooth combo blade for about 5yrs now, and it takes care of the big cuts. I also have an 8 1/4" Elu, which is great for mouldings and other fine work.I currently use a 60 tooth neg. hook blade in this. The final one (so far ) is a 10" Makita which is currently fitted with a thin multi metal cutting disc.
To get around the space problem, I built a special cabinet with a rotating triangular box in the centre. Each side has one saw on it, and it's built so that one is always flush with benchtop, while the other 2 rest beneath the top. A quick pull of 2 locking pins allows the next saw to rotate up, and the last to retreat below the bench.
-Even with all this saw power, I feel the urge to get one of the new Sliding mitres, the DeWalt 12 and the Hitachi both look good

Old 12-21-04, 07:52 AM
I used my friends DeWalt over the summer for a deck project and it was the greatest. Only thing it could have used was a laser beam so you know right where it's gonna cut.

Old 12-21-04, 11:56 PM
I saw the new Ridgid 12" slider yesterday, and it looks really good. Almost a 100 cheaper than the DeWalt too ! Couldn't find any dealers in our area with the big Bosch that Joe mentions though.
-Joe how is the Bosch compared to DeWalt and Ridgid, pricewise ?

Old 12-22-04, 04:50 AM
KY Joe
Visiting Guest
Bosch 4412

Nomind,
The Bosch 4412 is an expensive saw....I've seen it all the way up to $729.00!!! The lowest I have seen it priced was $659 at one of Amazon's partners! The Dewalt and Ridgid are about $100 less in most places! I have always thought the saying "you get what you pay for" is true, ESPECIALLY when you are talking about a dangerous power tool like a saw with a 12" blade!
I recently read that the 12" Makita saws have a stability problem, due to their smaller size; one reviewer stated he would only use a Makita if it were bolted to a bench!
Even with all I have read about miter saws in the last month, I am still going back and forth between 10" and 12" sliders! I think a 10" will win out, maybe the Bosch 4410!

Wishes for a wonderful Christmas to all!! KY Joe

Last edited by KY Joe; 12-22-04 at 04:55 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 12-24-04, 01:58 AM
KY Joe,
- along those lines, it's handy to remember that the bigger your blade, the more imbalanced it can be. I know most of the better quality blades are very well balanced, but even with a stiffener, my 12 " DeWalt vibrates very slightly at the tips. This is why I keep my old 8 1/4 Elu, the cuts are SO smooth, I don't think any 12" could match it.