jig saw or a

Old 01-02-05, 09:09 PM
jig saw or a

sawsaw (spelling) which would be better to have around for cutting.my old 2 speed jig saw died.were the blade goes is lose,took apart and no place to tighten it up.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-05, 09:31 PM
MCMBIC
Visiting Guest
I think what you are talking about is a "Saws all" which is the Milwalkee Tools nickname for their reciprocating saw. Many different companies make reciprocating saws and most have nicknames from the manufacturer. Either way, your question depends on what you plan on cutting. A reciprocating saw is excellent for demolition type cutting or for larger peices of material such as posts or 2x6's etc. They are also good for cutting metal, nails and the like with the proper blades. The jig saw is good for cutting holes and curved lines because you have a guide plate and can control the jig saw easier. The jig saw is also a one handed tool which leaves your other hand available to hold your work. The reciprocating saw is a two handed tool and is hard to control on more exact cuts. I have a Porter Cable Tiger Saw and I would not try to use it on anything that I need a very exact cut or hole just because it has a good bit of power and I would probably have a mis cut.

Another option out there depending on the use is a rotory tool such as the Dremel or Roto Zip with cutting bits. These are great for smaller wood cuts and drywall cuts, plus they are good when cutting metal also.

Hope this helps.
MCMBIC

Old 01-02-05, 09:41 PM
thank you and thats what i was talking about.so i guess it would be best to have both.it would be used cutting stuff like you said,but again as you said the jig saw for the small things.thanks again made me think!

Old 01-02-05, 09:48 PM
MCMBIC
Visiting Guest
No prob Robbie, besides as a DIYer you can never have to many tools!!! ARRG, ARRG!

MCMBIC