Amps vs Horsepower

Old 01-03-05, 07:42 AM
Amps vs Horsepower

Every time I go look at tools I always see two different ratings Amps and Horsepower. I always thought that the more Amps a tool had, the stronger or more powerful a tool would be. What is the difference between the two and which is more important to look at?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-05, 10:33 AM
1 hp = 745 watts on a single phase AC

And you can get watts by multiplying the line voltage by the tool's specified amp rating. Thus, a tool rated at 15 amps on 120 volt circuit, will have about 2.5 hp

Old 01-03-05, 12:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
HI Hawks and Markiz,
- That's an intersting point Hawks raises about which is more important. Markiz, a great answer. I always check the amps first, as this is the easiest indication of how powerful it really is.

Old 01-04-05, 04:53 AM
Originally Posted by nomind
HI Hawks and Markiz,
- That's an intersting point Hawks raises about which is more important. Markiz, a great answer. I always check the amps first, as this is the easiest indication of how powerful it really is.
Yes, Hawks, for what it's worth, definitely check the amps first. Horsepower is often given as a peak value, which is misleading, a gimmick to sell a tool. I have a shop vac that draws 11 amps, yet is rated at 6 hp peak. How is that possible?? Well, maybe if you tried to purposely stall the motor, it would generate 6 hp while drawing more current, but this will never happen in real life because it'll trip the breaker first. Well, you see what I'm getting at: running amps is what really counts.

Old 01-05-05, 06:44 AM
Amp vs HP

Thanks for your help. This gives me a better understanding for my tool buying.