sanders

Old 01-04-05, 12:16 PM
mcmom2005
Visiting Guest
sanders

Can someone tell me what type of sander to use for different jobs? I'm looking at an random orbital and a belt sander. Thanks.

Old 01-04-05, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mcmom2005, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
My personal opinion on sanders would be the orbital. Easy to control and does small areas. Belt sanders have their place but to me are not an all around tool. If you are using a belt sander, don't stop to admire your work or you'll eat a hole in it. Good luck.

Old 01-05-05, 09:46 AM
R
mcmom2005,

I couldn't agree more with majakdragon. My belt sander broke years ago. I haven't even given it a second look since I got my first random orbital sander.

Please be aware that there are orbital sanders and random orbital sanders. You may want both, but the random orbital does 99% of my work. An orbital sander, AKA finish sander, AKA pad sander, produce a nice finish if you are careful how you apply and remove them from the surface of the material you're working on and have plenty of time. They are not very good at removing lots of material. The random orbital sander is a carry-over from the auto body shop business. They remove material fast (not as fast as a belt sander), but leave a great finish and are very forgiving.

I would recommend the random orbital sander as your primary tool. then buy a B&D Mouse (I think that's what they are called) for tight spots.

Good luck,

Old 01-05-05, 10:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi everyone,
- you guys are not operating in the true DIY'er mode- everybody NEEDS at least 4 sanders
- But seriously, I do often find uses for my belt sander. It's a good versatile tool to have. I also have elec. and air random orbitals- they're good too, especially in furniture finishing. I also have the Mouse, like Randy, but find it fairly limited. The Dremel Contour Sander does MUCH more, although at twice the cost. Finally, I use the B&D R600 (iron-shape) most, it's a good versatile sander, with built in vac-bag and aggresive enough with a rough pad to remove lots of surface quickly.
In conclusion , I would recommend the B&D iron-shaped as best choice for a beginner with one sander.

Do it Right - Do it once

Old 01-05-05, 04:03 PM
D
I have a Fein MultiMaster.

This tool is amazing. If you are in the market for a "detail" sander, do not overlook this tool. It will do much, much more than sanding, which helps to justify the price.

If you want to buy just one sanding tool, and do not need to work large areas, check it out.

I also have a 5 inch random orbital.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: