Random Orbital Polishers

Old 01-23-05, 02:00 PM
oldmedic
Visiting Guest
Random Orbital Polishers

Is there anything that works as well (and costs less) as a Porter Cable random orbital electric polisher? Would one of the random orbital palm sanders work just as well or am I just kidding myself? oldmedic

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-05, 07:57 PM
I think the answer is nope, but it may depend on what your doing
I have and use both types often
The P/C polisher I think you refer to is a larger adjustable speed random orbital with a...(I think) 5 inch disk?
And has a handle you can attach?
I use mine as a buffer or a sander, but it's big and round and often I need to use my P/C palm sander (also random orbital)
I'd never get my big P/C into an inset shelf or stair tread to sand it, and I can't polish with a palm sander
My big P/C can do bigger sanding jobs much quicker and has hook and loop sanding disks for quick changes, and a much better dust recovery system than the palm-it attaches to a shop vac if I want
If I could only keep one i'm not sure what I'd do

Old 01-24-05, 07:41 AM
it's all about the rpm

You should not exceed 1500 rpm for polishing. If you can adjust your sander to spin that low, it might do the job. But the last time I looked, those 5 inch sanders move at 4 - 12K rpm

Old 01-24-05, 09:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi oldmedic,
-I have an old random electric polisher that's rated at 800 rpm. It does good work on the auto repairs I sometimes do. I tried my electric sander on these and found they go so fast it 'burns' the finish. I also wish there was an 'in between' , as the old polisher is so heavy, but I haven't found anything better yet.

Do it Right - Do it once.