Chop Saws

Old 01-24-05, 04:46 PM
weewillie
Visiting Guest
Smile Chop Saws

Has anyone used a 14" Ridgid Chop Saw from The Home Depot? Was curious how it held up.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-05, 04:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You get what you pay for. How a tool holds up also depends on the treatment the owner gives it.

I have looked at chop saws, and except for a genuine Ridgid (not found in the Home Depot tool section, priced around $600.00), I have not seen one made in the USA. The main differences have been whether or not the saw has a cast iron base versus a stamped steel one and the name on the decal.

The Home Depot "Ridgid" power tools are made by the same folks that make Ryobi power tools.

If I was going to buy one, and a made in USA tool was not available or not an option, I would get the cheapest one I could find and not pay any extra for a name. There is probably one or two Chinese factories making them all with different labels at the end.

Old 01-25-05, 07:43 AM
Saw

I agree with Danski. If you don't go with American, look for the cheapest China saw you can find. Menards has some cheap china stuff, but again you get what you pay for. If you are going to be using the saw a lot, I would ante up and get a good American saw, one that will last you. If it is a present for someone you don't like, such as a brother in law, I would go with the China saw. I have been at people's houses where they have been using the China junk and it has been nothing more than a pain in the a**.

Old 01-30-05, 08:12 AM
nix on chinese

I tried a harbor freight chinese chop saw and immediately returned it and exchanged for Makita. The chinese was definitely lacking in power. The Makita is bottom of their line, but light yrs. ahead of the HF. A good friend has a Makita he's used in his business for 10 yrs. and has had no problem. If you want to make an enemy, just give them a chinese chop saw.
Mike A

Old 01-30-05, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
Exclamation A more correct term would be offshore!

There is often a difference in quality between goods produced in America and other places. What has to be realized though is quite a few "Built in the USA" products contain offshore components and do so because of cost.

The decision to purchase an inexpensive product has to be based on it's intended use.
For occasional use it does not make sense to spend three times the money to purchase a tool.
There are differences in quality between offshore products that along with the domestic stuff make for a good field to chose from.

Since there are stories about cheap tools I'll give you mine.
The 14" chop saw I purchased ten years ago for $99.00 CDN still works as the day I bought it and has been installed outdoors with only a small cover to keep the rain and snow off.
I've cut many tons of steel with it, the last project being a 50' steel footbridge and I'm sure it will have no problem cutting enough steel to build my next project, a 20' tilting car hauler .

So, I would research it more and suggest that you base your decision on what you want to do with this tool as has already been suggested.

(For the price of the expensive saw you could get an offshore chop saw, a metal bender, a grinder, a reciprocating saw, a vice, some clamps, a machinist's hammer set, safety glasses, digital caliper, machinist apron and a dozen roses to help explain it all )