Miter Saw Dilemma - Makita or Hitachi (Which one to keep)

Old 02-02-05, 03:16 PM
MartyI
Visiting Guest
Question Miter Saw Dilemma - Makita or Hitachi (Which one to keep)

Hi Folks,
I'm new to this site and after reading many posts, I feel confident about the knowledgeable people on this site. I just bought my first house (1860's Post & Beam in Vermont) and am starting to collect tools for all of my future project. Here is my dilemma:

I ended up purchasing two miter saws on Ebay (It's a long story)
1. Hitachi C10FSH 10" Dual Bevel Slide Compound Saw with laser - New
2. MAKITA LS1013 10" Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw factory refurbished but looks and runs like new
I also have a Ridgid Miter saw stand waiting for me to mount one of these saws.
I am new to Miter saws so I need your help and opinions on whicj one to keep and which one to sell. I know both are great but any info would be helpful.

Thanks and this site is great!!!
Marty

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-05, 05:01 PM
jeepgal98
Visiting Guest
I don't have the LS1013, but I do have the LS1212 and I love it. The LS1013 got excellent reviews, and based on my experience with the LS1212, my brother-in-law bought the LS1013 last summer and he loves it as well. I think the makita saws are incredibly smooth and dead on in alignment. My house is relatively new and did not have any moldings, other than the base molding and molding around doors. I put the miter saw to good use cutting crown molding, chair, wainscoting shadow boxes, and window molding in most of the rooms. Yes, there are features I wish my saw had, such as bevel adjustments up front and laser guides, but considering how smoothly it rides on the double rail and how accurate it is, these features are just nice-to-have's that I wouldn't trade my saw for.

Good luck!
Janice

Old 02-03-05, 09:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi Marty,
- I think Janice offers some excellent advice. I would keep whichever is smoothest AND I feel most comfortable using. They are both good tools.

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 02-04-05, 11:35 AM
Keep them both!!! There's no such thing as having too many tools.

Seriously, either would be an excellent choice. I recently got the Makita but the decision was a coin toss until I found out about the Makita 'rebate' of a 14.4 cordless drill. I have three (yes, three) cordless drills now and (I'm not making this up) have had a few occasions where I used all of them assembling some cabinets.

Old 02-07-05, 09:10 PM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
I can't persay give my opinion about the saws at hand, but I can say that I have the DeWalt 12" Sliding Compound and I'm very happy with it.

In regard to your delima, both saws are great. Hatachi makes a better quality, more accurate saw, but you won't be disappointed with either one. Make sure you buy an 80 tooth alternate bevel with a negative degree rake blade. Companies I'd recommend:

Lietz, Amana, or FS Tool. Spend the money on a good blade, because that will also be a factor upon good results.