Deal On Ryobi Combo Packs At Home Depot

Old 02-15-05, 04:18 PM
Deal On Ryobi Combo Packs At Home Depot

Home Depot has a deal on an 8 piece, 18V combo kit. You get a drill, jigsaw, recip. saw, circ. saw, chainsaw, dust buster, and some other things. The price was 250 bucks. Seems like an awesome deal the only thing that scares me is,,,,,, its "Ryobi". Anyone bought one of these, or have any bad experiences with Ryobi tools??? I'm not a contractor so I don't really need top of the line tools, I'd basically be doing home repairs and such. I already have a Ridgid 18V drill and I've been VERY impressed with Ridgid so far, but the Ridgid Combo is like $450.00 and you don't get as many tools. So what do you guys think of the Ryobi tools? Any info is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-05, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
William,

For homeowner use I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the least expensive option for a battery powered tool.
The higher the voltage of a tool's battery the shorter it's life is.

My opinion is that unless you make your living with these tools and need the portability they are a waste of money.
For $250.00 you could likely purchase two of the tools in the kit that are corded that would last a lifetime.

I have an 18 volt Milwaukee Sawzall, and unless I need the portability, my corded Sawzall blows away the 18 volt, power wise.

Old 02-15-05, 05:25 PM
So if I made my living with them,, you'd say buy it?? I was figuring they wouldn't really get the everyday abuse of contractor tools, so they might last a little longer. Personally, I think the durability of the battery operated tools have come a long way in the past few years. I'm just not totally sold on Ryobi. I have PLENTY of corded tools, their all 40 years old and still work fine, I'm just sick of the cords. Ever see a novice(me) try to use a corded circular saw left handed? It ain't a pretty sight.LOL

Old 02-15-05, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator
William,

If you can afford the battery powered tools they are fun to use, especially if you doing a lot of very small projects.
Also by your first post it didn't sound as if you had other power tools.

As far as the battery tool lasting they have improved.
Where you will find the problem is that in a couple of years the batteries will fail and the tools will still have a lot of life left.
The disspointing thing is replacement batteries will be almost as much as replacing the whole kit.
I know, I have a drawer full of good drills that are impractical to replace batteries on.

My 18 volt Sawzall is 3 1/2 years old and needs one new battery and the second is soon on it's way out. A replacement battery is a little over $100.00 CDN each!

Here is my favorite link on cordless batteries.

Old 02-15-05, 07:28 PM
I have the ryobi 18 volt combo kit you describe and I havent regrettted buying it

I do make my lliving with my tools and on job sites around here Ryobi is number one especially amoung self employed trades like mysellf. I see 5 guys using ryobi for every one high end tool

I have had mine a little over a year and no problems

my 14.4 ryobi lasted over 6 years , I bought this rather than replacing the batterys I gave the drill to a guy who had a ryobi 14.4 and its still running for him

Old 02-15-05, 07:53 PM
Group Moderator
I have a do-it-yourselfer friend who owns a set, and he's happy with his. My set is Dewalt, so I'll keep my opinions to myself.

Old 02-16-05, 01:05 AM
I can't generalise about Ryobi. They get into a lot of markets, so naturally make different quality tools, to match the competition. With cordless the game is as you say, "an awesome deal", and beauty of the plastic shell and brand image ...Father's Day drives that I guess.

Usually I'd pick Ryobi out of a lineup, though.

Old 02-16-05, 06:40 AM
Kobuchi, are you saying you would or wouldn't buy Ryobi??? If I could afford the Dewalts or Ridgid, I'd buy them in a second, I just can't justify the 5 bills right now. Believe it or not, a couple of years ago I bought a Farmington 18V Combo set (local company) a got a drill, jigsaw, and sander for 29.99 and those tools are still going strong, they just don't have the power or battery strength.

Old 02-16-05, 11:37 AM
I'm saying Ryobi makes types of tools I wouldn't buy, cordless in particular. The only battery-powered tool I have is a screwdriver, and I don't demand much of it. Hitachi makes both VCRs and excavators - would I buy a Hitachi?

If I wanted a full set of cordless tools then Ryobi would likely be my brand.

Old 02-16-05, 07:40 PM
my son just bought a ryobi kit for about 150.00 it didnt have the chainsaw (really a prety bogus tool ) , the jigsaw I like mine use it a lot , the mesuring device ( mine broke , but it was on the floor of the truck all summer ) or the rolling case ( i have never used mine )

it does have the drill , flashlight , recripcationg saw , circular saw , vaccum , two battries and charger ...hell of a deal for 150.00

its 170 on the website but Im prety sure he said he paid 150.00

Old 02-16-05, 08:21 PM
lockpicker
Visiting Guest
just a word to the wise...

ive been in home depot daily for the last cpl days and all i see at the return counter is people returning thier ryobi's for some reason...

no joke I want to say They are having issues with there battery packs.

Maybe this is an isolated problem I dont know..

but i would stay away from Ryobi Just my opinion

Old 02-17-05, 04:31 AM
speaking form personell experiance ,( not a ryobi rep, no rtobi stock ) mine has worked great , my sons worked fine I see them in use at jobsites all over ( I had to mark mine with spray paint so I could easily identfy them amoung the other ryobis plugged in charging at jobs )

you do get a two year warranty and for what its worth I had to return two milwuakees within a month a few years ago. and my last ryobi outlasted my milwuakeee , dewault , and makita combined .

Old 02-17-05, 05:12 AM
I have a bricklayer friend that uses nothing but Dewalt "corded" tools, but I asked him about cordless tools and he said, every job he's been to, in the last year has had Ridgid cordless tools. He said the Ridgid tools are nothing short of amazing, I have a Ridgid drill and I know how durable they are. I told him about the deal on the Ryobi Pack and he kinda frowned. He said for the work that I'd be doing that would be a great deal. He said, just make sure you "take care" of the batteries, especially not to put the batteries on the charger when they're "hot", let them cool to normal temps, then charge 'em. I think I'm making a trip to Home Depot today.

Old 02-17-05, 03:45 PM
Ive used Ryobi cordless 18v's for about 4 years and have had 1 go bad.I use them in my door business.I aslo have a rigid 18v, (just because i wanted to try them) and Ridgid has a little more power , but the batteries die quick.For the price of Ryobi you cant go wrong. I will continue to buy them and when the new Ridgid goes south, i will replace it with Ryobi.The batteries for ridgid are like $80, where Ryobi is like $28

Old 02-17-05, 04:44 PM
My buddy said the batteries die quick also,, I havent' noticed that with the drill I have. Well, I went ahead and bit the bullet, since I really didn't have the money for any of them,,,,, I went ahead and bought the Ridgid 4pc. Combo, circular, recip, hammer drill, flashlight and a mail in rebate for a free jigsaw. Total package,,,, $450 and a nice carrying bag. I cannot believe the POWER these tools have,, simply amazing. Now I just have to get rid of the second drill. Less than a year old hardly used, 18V 3/8, 2 batteries, charger and case.

Old 02-17-05, 07:07 PM
Yea i can be running a screw in with the ridgid and all of a sudden it will die before you can get the screw in, the ryobi will start slowing down and run a few more screws in before it dies, but yes the ridgid has the power, i bought the 3 piece set, the circular saw is nice also.

Old 02-18-05, 04:55 AM
Thanks again to everyone that replied, I really appreciate it. Could you imagine a world with no internet???? You guys are the best.