Oilless Air Comp and Brad nailer

Old 02-18-05, 09:57 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oilless Air Comp and Brad nailer

I know it goes against the grain of a lot of folks in buying cheap tools (and I am sure that I will get a remark or two, they are welcomed) but I am on a limited budget.

I bought a little 2 gal. oilless air compressor from Harbor (Central Pneumatic 2 GALLON, 100 PSI OILLESS AIR COMPRESSOR ) and a staple/brad nailer combo. I am only doing a little trim on a few cabinets and the brad nailer will do 1 1/2 brads (good for what I want).

However, the guy at harbor said that I should put a little pneumatic oil in the hose or coupling before I start using it. The directions don't mention this at all.

Why do I need to do that? Any help is appreciated.

Pete

Last edited by psal2; 02-18-05 at 10:00 AM. Reason: corrected spelling and added information
Old 02-18-05, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
He should have said Air Oil. This will lubricate the nailer as you use it. Compressed air makes moisture that will affect the nailer after a time. I had an automatic oiler/filter on my last compressor, mounted as the hose left the compressor. It trapped moisure and added oil for my tools.

Old 02-18-05, 10:17 AM
P
Okay, looking around the 'Net I found the following on Air Tool Oil:
If You Do Not Have An In-Line Air Oiler For Your Air Tools, Then This Is A Must!
Place A Few Drops In The Tool'S Air Intake At The Beginning Of Each Work Day
This Oil Will Help Keep Tool Running Smothly And Prevent Internal Rusting

Now I get the idea.

I didn't use this yet and was thinking of getting a little bigger model with oil but didn't want to spend a lot of money. Your opinion of "cheap but good" compressors?

Old 02-18-05, 10:27 AM
Its one of those "things". As long as it does what you want it to...it's good. I have bought a lot of Harbor Freight tools. Some Brand name, some not. It all depends on if you are trying to do something that you already know the tool is not designed to do. I always decide on what to pay by what I need it to do and for how long I want it to do it. I bought a set of Harbor Freights brand deep well impact sockets for under $10 and I have a 425 pound impact gun. I am amazed that I have never broke any of these sockets.

Old 02-18-05, 10:33 AM
P
Smile

Really just going to use it to
1. Attach trim/moulding to projects.
2. Air up the mini-vans tires
3. Inflat my son's flat bike tire
4. Air gun the sawdust off the miter and table saws
5. Blow the dust out of the PCs (not sure on that one yet)
6. Minor spray paint.

I know it is small but once again, I will probably not use it much. If I have to do a bigger job, I can always upgrade or rent.

Thanks for the input.
Pete

Old 02-18-05, 10:47 AM
DON'T use it on the PC's. As stated, it will have moisture in the air. Good luck with all your projects.

Old 02-18-05, 11:33 AM
P
Moisture in the air...good advice. Better stick with the mini-vacuum.

Thanks again.
Pete

Old 02-21-05, 02:43 PM
P
Well, I traded in the 2 gal for a 4 gal pancake compressor. Also has a little more power.

It says to open the drain daily. That is a bugger to get to right in the middle of the bottom.

If I go one or two days with the air in it, will I have much of a problem?

Also considering a filter/oiler regulator...are these any good?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: