Which router bits to get??

Old 03-02-05, 03:44 AM
KY Joe
Visiting Guest
Which router bits to get??

I am ready to add a router to my woodshop! I've decided on a Bosch combo kit for the router, mainly because I like Bosch tools! But when iot comes to the bits to get for the router I'm lost! If YOU were just starting into using a router and had to restrict your purchase to $100 which bits would you get? Why? Any suggestions or cautions you want to share will be appreciated! I will mainly be doing built-in shelves and cabinets to start!

Old 03-02-05, 05:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The most basic would be roundover bits. For building bookshelves and cabinets, I like to use a dado bit in my router rather than a dado blade in a table or radial arm saw. That's about all I use a router for on shelves and what little cabinetry I build. The decorative treatments are usually pieces of trim. For example, a piece of panel mould dresses up the front edge of a shelf (usually made from something that needs an edge covered anyway). Maybe some of the cabinetmakers will comment and make better suggestions.

Old 03-02-05, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
KY Joe,

You could wait until you have a project and then buy a specific bit for what you are going to do .

I have had good luck with a set from Sears when they put their usual half price sale on and there are other places that discount sets.
Mine is a 15 pc set I think I paid around $89.00 CDN for.
They are not super high quality but get you going for less money than buying them one at a time.

They are good for small projects and if I'm going to do something major I will buy a quality one.

Click image:

Image credit: sears.com

Old 03-02-05, 06:31 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
One main thing to consider when buying a router is that it comes with both 1/4" and 1/2" collets to accept both sizes of router bits. Also, make sure that the HP is going to be enough for what you're doing.

If you were able to spend more, or when you're able to spend another $80.00, I would highly recommend you go with Porter Cable.

Old 03-02-05, 07:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Almost every article I've read suggests buying the best router bits you can afford, because they are worth every dime. (quality of the carbide, quality of the bearings) That being said, most guys can't afford an entire set of the highest quality bits either! So I think it's very wise to figure out exactly what profile of bits you will use the most, and go from there.

The biggest mistake would be wasting your money on an entire set of bits, when you might only use 3 or 4 of them frequently, and never use the other 17 in a million years! Have a bit for each purpose, in other words.

As was mentioned, roundover bits are essential- 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 are the most popular sizes in my router table. Flush trim bits, straight bits, spiral mortising bits, beading bits, 3 wing slotting cutters. It's likely that most of the above could be for a 1/4" collet. But if you plan on doing bigger stuff, such as making cabinet doors, rail/stile bits and raised panel bits will need to be 1/2". But it sounds like that sort of stuff is way out of your price range for now.

All that being said... if, as you said, I was just getting started, and only had $100 to spend, and needed to play with my new router, I'd probably buy $100 worth of low-cost bits, but I'd make sure I was going to have a use for each of them, and not waste money on an entire set.

I've seen Tool Shop brand bits that are VERY cheap (in more ways than one) or other knock-offs that would do just fine for your trial run. Buy a set of 4 roundover bits (with pilot bearings). Buy a few straight bits- 1/4, 3/8, 1/2. A flush trim bit. If you're still under $100, throw in a beading bit.

Once you get going, and you have a job where you need a certain type of bit, you can get bigger and better quality bits as you need them.

Old 03-02-05, 07:16 AM
Do you guys use a special lubricant for the roller or a general lubricant?

Old 03-02-05, 07:23 AM
I agree. Just get what you need for a project at first. If you don't already have one, consider getting some sort of pocket hole jig to make the face frames for your bookshelves and cabinets. I use my Kreg a lot more than I ever thought I would.

Old 03-02-05, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
Router bit lubricant. It might be the same thing as any other lubricant, but it's cheap, and most of my router bits aren't.

Old 03-02-05, 07:27 AM
Group Moderator
Pocket hole jigs are great, but don't buy the ones from Rockler. My co-worker has one, and its a real piece.

Old 03-03-05, 03:24 AM
K
Go by project.

The first router bit I purchased was a dovetail bit. And not to cut dovetails with either, as there were other ways to do that. I used it to dado locking slots for a table skirt - the bit filled a real need. And I still tend to buy weird bits for doing things otherwise impossible.

Consider which bits enable you to do something you can't now.

Old 03-03-05, 04:45 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hi
For lubricant i buy 2 cycle oil and put it in a squirt bottle.

cheers

pg

Old 03-03-05, 10:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi KY Joe,
- I started off with a cheap 15 piece set, like GregH suggested. $69 from KMS Tools, 7 roller bits and 8 non roller. I found this very handy for practicing with the router.
As I got to projects requiring a particular bit, I would then shell out a few bucks for that particular bit in a really good quality.

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 03-03-05, 01:15 PM
G
My first Router bits were Craftsman Hi speed chromed they burned up on the first two cuts.
They would gum-up with sap. they needed more clearance behind the cutting lip.
Craftsman may have fixed the problem, I purchased them about 20 years back.

Which ever make of bits you get. get the carbide tipped ones.

Old 03-04-05, 04:48 PM
countrymac
Visiting Guest
KY Joe,
Like you, I purchased my first Router a few years ago and started making some serious sawdust. Don't make the same mistake I did. Without any advice I bought a small set of very inexpensive bits (I think the were Vermont Castings from Sears). Big mistake. They were slow cutting and created more than a few chips in my expensive cherry and maple projects. Buy carbide tipped higher-end bits (about $30+ ea. at Home Depot) as you need per project. If you don't get too aggressive they cut like a dream and rarely chip out. They are a noght and day difference. Have fun.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: