Rant- new belt sander

Old 03-22-05, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Rant- new belt sander

Recently purchased a Bosch 1274DVS (3x21) sander. It's one of the ones that is flat on top, and is pretty light. It's very easy to handle, easy to see what you're working on, and you can even sit it on your bench and run it upside down if you need to sand something small. I love it!

The big heavy belt sanders have their place, but for the kind of stuff I do, this is my new favorite belt sander!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-05, 01:16 PM
What about the case? Did the designer leave enough room for the cord? It always seems the guy who designs the case gets a prototype model that doesn't have a cord. I have a couple of power tools (a Ryobi biscuit cutter and a Crain jamb saw) that have a base and a separate top. You place the tool in the appropriately molded section of the base then try to defy gravity as you quickly try to place the top over it before the cord falls out. I have a Porter-Cable circular saw that requires bending the cord sharply right at the strain relief to get the lid to close. The first thing that wore out on it was the cord because of the way the case is designed. And what about the jig saw that will only go in the case if the blade is in the uppermost position?

Didn't mean to change the subject, but your post made me think of the problems I have run into with tool cases.

Old 03-22-05, 03:06 PM
Xsleeper. Congrats! I have one too. It is my best hand held belt sander. It is one of the few belt sanders that I consider 'cabinet grade', meaning its great for sanding cabinet raised panes, and syle and rail joints, because it is so well balanced and resists digging into one side of the belt.

Txdiyguy, interesting point about cases. I routinely discard all my power tool cases, except the metal Old Milwaulkee Saws All case. I store all my power tools on preassigned shelves. I feel like I am throwing away cases that are worth $30 bucks, but I do it anyway.

If the tool comes with special tools, i.e. router wrenches, I use an electric buzz engraver and engrave which tool it is for. If they are 'ever-time-use' tools, I store them with the tool. If they are seldom used adjustment tools, I mark them and have a special drawer containing only 'tool accessories'. I just toss them in. If it's an allen wrench, I discard it.

Old 03-22-05, 03:14 PM
Group Moderator
txdiyguy,

you are SO right about the importance of a good case. Sadly, my Bosch belt sander came in a cardboard box. But it stays in the warehouse usually, so I don't mind.

Tools that come without cases should be against the law. I wish Bush would do something about that.

I like Dewalt's cases where everything has a place, but sometimes the cords can be a pain in the neck. And its like if you stick one more small item in there, it won't close! I hate that. I also dislike having to remove my reciprocating saw blades every time I want to shut the case. Why couldn't they have made the case 2" longer?? And I hate it when I accidentally step on a case and bend it. They never close the same after that.

I do like my new Milkwaukee sawzall's plastic case. First I thought it would be inferior to their old metal cases, but I acually like it. It's not a cheap plastic case like some that i've seen.

My Bosch rotary hammer case is plastic, and it's nice... but the SDS bits store in the lid, and they are forever falling out and making a total mess. I wish there was some easy way to get them to stay in place. Maybe I'll have to experiment with some velcro strips to keep them from falling out.

So much for my ranting about cases.

Lugnut,

So you have one too? Glad to hear that you like it also. I was worried about buying a 3x21 at first, because of the increased chance of tipping and gouging material along the sides of the sander, but so far so good! It doesn't pick up dust worth a hoot, but that's the least of my worries. I'm actually glad to not have a huge dustbag in my way, like on my bigger PC sander.

Oh, and next time you think about throwing away some nice new tool boxes, send them my way, will ya?

Old 03-22-05, 05:46 PM
I've had a 4x21 Craftsman for about 20 years. Yes, I said 4x21. Which means I HAVE to go to Sears for belts. I almost wish it would crap out but in all fairness, it has held up well and does a good job for me. I'll keep in mind your endorsement of the Bosch model. Who knows, maybe mine will be involved in an "accident" next time they have belt sander races at the supply house open house.

More on cases: Most pneumatic nailer cases are well designed. At least they accomodate the quick-connector one always adds. One thing nice about the AIRY nailer cases is that they will only close if you remove the brads (so that the spring is unloaded). I always try to do that but occasionally forget. I prefer the cases with the "million operation plastic hinge/latch" over those that have horizontal sliding clasps.

Lugnut: Don't throw the cases away. You'd be surprised what you can get for them on eBAy.

Old 03-22-05, 08:33 PM
Group Moderator
My finish gun cases must have been equipped with plastic latches that only had a 1 year warantee. They've broken in half. I really hate it when it comes open and spreads my brad nails all over the back of the van.

Maybe I shouldn't drive so crazy. LOL