Opinions on this Saw

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-05, 05:10 PM
HTRK-1
Visiting Guest
Opinions on this Saw

Hi all,
I've been lurking around this forum and am inpressed with caliber of people here. I will be finishing my basment soon and am considering a compound miter saw. I saw this on Harbor freight and was wondering what you guys thought. Its a 12 " sliding compound miter saw. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42818

I'm not familiar with the brand name. I will be using it for cutting laminate flooring,studs and moldings. The price is right. Or should I stick with a brand name that is more expensive, but doesn't have the sliding radial action. I like to stay under $200. I know there are much better saws, but It will only be used occasionally. They also have a complete parts list for this unit and I have an actual harbor freight store in my area. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-05, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator
My thoughts are that unless you plan to cut wide boards where you would need the 12" capacity of the slide, you might do well to instead buy a quality non sliding saw.

Old 03-23-05, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Chicago Electric is one of the many brands that Chinese tools are sold under. I bought a cheap grinder once (made in China) and it lasted about 15 seconds from the time I took it out of the box, turned it on and started grinding cement. You get what you pay for, I guess.

I guess my opinion would be to stick with something sold in the box stores- they won't give you the shaft by selling inferior tools. I don't know what you plan on cutting, but I'm sure that you'd be happy with a smaller miter saw.

Old 03-23-05, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by HTRK-1
I will be using it for cutting laminate flooring,studs and moldings. The price is right. Or should I stick with a brand name that is more expensive, but doesn't have the sliding radial action.
You won't need a 12' sliding for that
Think about getting a better quality non-slider

Old 03-24-05, 04:06 AM
Sawdustguy
Visiting Guest
Not only have I never heard of the name, the cutting capacity concerns me too. You're not even able to cut moldings greater than 3-11/16" tall. All pieces greater than that, you'd have to lie flat and tilt the head of the saw. It's in no way "wrong" to do it that way, I just find it to be more of a hassle if I have to tilt the head.

Staying under $200.00 for a quality miter saw is very difficult. The well known brands are Makita, DeWalt, Hatachi, Milwalkee and Porter Cable.

Most laminate flooring is at least 6" wide, so the sliding feature would be ideal for that. If you go with a non-sliding, you need to make sure that the cutting capacity is enough that you can cut the laminate flooring in one cut and not have to flip the flooring over to make a second cut to complete the cut. I do not believe any of the chop saws will cut outward of 6" without sliding.

So at this point, you're stuck in a double edge sword. To slide, or not to slide, "That is the question"

Another option is that if you don't think you're going to use it again or very rarely, most of your local home depots, possibly lowes and menards have tool rental places. Or you can simply look it up in the phone book for a rental place.

"Note" If a 10" saw, be sure to buy a blade that is an "Alternate Bevel" and has 80 teeth. If it's a 12" saw, make sure it has 100 teeth "Alternate Bevel" The amount of teeth and having the alternate bevel will prevent you from having blowout, chipping on the top, and will last a lot longer before you need resharpening. Make sure you get a blade that is carbide tipped.

Old 03-24-05, 04:15 AM
HTRK-1
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replys guys. I think you are right. I would love to have a makita or dewalt, but they're not in the budget. I will probably stick to a non-sliding craftsman, delta or royobi. Thanks again guys.

Old 03-24-05, 05:22 AM
Group Moderator
Saws at a popular online tool site that are under $260:

Delta 10" Compound (#MS250) - $99.99
Delta 12" Compound (#MS450) - $199.99
Dewalt 10" Compound (#DW703) - $199.99
Porter Cable 10" Compound (#3700L) - $199.99
Makita 12" Compound (LS1221) - $224.99 after rebate
Makita 10" Miter Saw (#LS1030N) - $169.99
Hitachi 10" Compound (#C10FCH) - $179.99
Bosch 12" Compound (#3912) - $259.99
Milwaukee 10" Compound (#6490-6) - $199.99

One online tool site offers $25 off any order over $199 free shipping, and possibly no sales tax. Might as well get a good saw and take advantage of it!

Old 03-24-05, 01:31 PM
countrymac
Visiting Guest
Hey HTRK1,
Being an at home do-it yourselfer I haven't the wisdom to share that someone like Sawdustguy does (you da man). But I can tell you that in my world a purchase like this is all about justification. I have had the Delta 10" compund for about 7 yrs and it's held its own. But there are many times I wish I had my old man's radial arm saw. Hence the justification-you're not just buying one expensive tool....you're getting two for the price of one and a half. If I had to do it all over again I'd borrow a buddie's chop saw for the mean time and save up for the compound slider.
Just a working stiff's opinion. Good Luck!

Countrymac

Old 03-24-05, 02:26 PM
HTRK-1
Visiting Guest
Hey guy, Thanks for all the replies. I went with the Dewalt 10" compound miter. I did my last laminate floor job in the spare bedroom with I saber saw. So if I have to flip the plank to finish a 7.5" cut it will still be quicker. The 10 inch will cut 2x4's fine and it was within my budget. I only have a one car garage and this unit won't take up as much space in the long run.....With all my mechanics tools it seems like the walls of my garage and work benches are moving in on me. The Dewalt came with a stand that I can use when I need it in the basement (when I start that project). Now if I can just get the wife to clean all her stuff out of there I might be able to start the project. I have a 30 gal air compressor and am thinking about an air framing nailer next (I already have a nice finish nailer) I figure by doing this stuff myself, I can easily justify some toys to make the job easier. Thanks guys

Old 03-24-05, 03:03 PM
The Dewalt 10" compound miter is less then 1/2 the weight of the 12" Chicago Slider
You'll appreciate that too!

Old 04-01-05, 09:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
i haven't had any problem's with their tools, but they are used every day

Old 04-02-05, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by XSleeper
Saws at a popular online tool site that are under $260:

Delta 10" Compound (#MS250) - $99.99
Delta 12" Compound (#MS450) - $199.99
Dewalt 10" Compound (#DW703) - $199.99
Porter Cable 10" Compound (#3700L) - $199.99
Makita 12" Compound (LS1221) - $224.99 after rebate
Makita 10" Miter Saw (#LS1030N) - $169.99
Hitachi 10" Compound (#C10FCH) - $179.99
Bosch 12" Compound (#3912) - $259.99
Milwaukee 10" Compound (#6490-6) - $199.99

One online tool site offers $25 off any order over $199 free shipping, and possibly no sales tax. Might as well get a good saw and take advantage of it!
Too bad those are USD prices. Cant find those up here for anywhere near those prices...

Closed Thread