Werner or Louisville Ladders?

Old 03-25-05, 01:51 PM
FRED223
Visiting Guest
Werner or Louisville Ladders?

I Want To Buy A Good Quality Platform Ladder For Around The House Use. I Have Narrowed It Down To A Werner Or Louisville 10' Platform. Anyone Prefer One Over The Other?

Thanks,
Fred

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-05, 05:49 PM
I have used Werner for years so I tend to go with those
I don't recall seeing a Louisville around here, but if it's rating on the side sticker (Class III, II,etc.) was what I was looking for I wouldn't be opposed to it
What material (alum., fiberglass, wood) were you thinking of?
And what's a platform ladder?
10 ft. seems high for around the house use, it's starting to get a little un-wieldy at that height

Old 03-26-05, 05:05 AM
FRED223
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I wanted to get a fiberglass ladder. For some reason they seem to be less expensive. They are also non-conductive.

A platform ladder is similiar to a step ladder except when you open it all the way, the top 2 ft. fold open to a platform that connects between the two sides. The top of the ladder forms a railing around three sides of you. I think it's a little steadier to work on in that your feet are not restricted to just one side of the ladder. The platform tends to be about 14" x 15".

Fred

Old 03-26-05, 05:16 AM
I was thinking if you might be changing fixtures fiberglass is a good idea
I started to buy them for that reason, and now prefer them even for situations where I'm not near any electricity
The platform thing sounds nice for a ten footer too
Ten feet is up there (it doesn't sound high, but...)
I'll have to check them out

Old 03-26-05, 02:56 PM
how high are your ceilings ?

a 10' ladder isnt going to work with 8' ceilings .(evan a 8' ladder doisnt work well with 8' ceilings )

as to brands I have seen them both , they both look about the same I use werner becouse the local supply house sells them

if the ratings were the same and the construction looked the same I would buy the cheaper of the two the newer werner have braces between the bottom rung and the ladder leg (I dont know if lousvile offers that )

I have had ladders start to break there so I like that feature

Old 03-27-05, 05:42 AM
FRED223
Visiting Guest
I just painted the cathedral ceiling in my livingroom. The platform ladder I borrowed from my neighbor just made it so easy. Cleaning out my gutters without crushing them with an extension ladder is also quite nice. Last year I power washed the vinyl siding and it just felt safer to have that platform to stand on. Granted I will still need an extension ladder to reach my chimney cap or roof peak, but i can borrow that from my neighbor too. It's just an all around good house ladder.

Thanks,
Fred

Old 03-27-05, 06:08 AM
if you only need it occasinaly consider renting one

I have 4' , 6' and 8' steplladders , the once or twice a year i need bigger I rent what need 10' 12' or 14'

why tie up the money and have to deal with storage on something you rarley use