Drill Hammer/Drilling into Stone

Old 04-11-05, 11:25 AM
emadrak
Visiting Guest
Drill Hammer/Drilling into Stone

Hello all,

I am starting to get into home improvement projects, but I don't want to dive in with both hands yet. I just bought a new mail box to hang outside, however there is no wood fixtures that we can hang it from. After reading, it seems that many people use a Drill Hammer for something like this.
I have a 50 year old house, and the entire front is made of Stone (Not sure what type though) and I see that someone has hung a mail box there before, so I can assume that I can drill a hole about an inch deep.

But I guess I am just looking for some confirmation and some warnings because I don't want to destroy the outside of my house. Is there a way that I can find out what type of stone I have by looking at it?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-05, 05:12 AM
hi
Used a hammmer drill and buy some tap con screws.
they come with a carbide drill bit and the screws simply screws in the concrete or rock without any canchor.
they come in various lenght.

cheers

pg

Old 04-18-05, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
A hammer drill would be a good tool to use, and these days many cordless drills have a hammer drill function. It is easier to drill into the mortar joint between your stones and you do not have to worry about cracking a stone.