Removing a Stripped Bolt

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-05, 07:22 PM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
Removing a Stripped Bolt

I stripped a bolt trying to remove the brake caliper on my wifes 03 Expedition. It is a 19mm bolt about 2" long. Looks like all the corners are rounded off. Any special tool that will remove this???

thanks

mIke

Old 04-18-05, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If I read you right you havent stripped the threads , just rounded off the corners

I would use the biggest pair of vise grips I dould get on there

use the real thing not some china knock off

if need be you can use a file to put some flats on it for a better grip

Old 04-18-05, 07:48 PM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. Correct, the corners are just rounded off on the head. The threads are fine.

It is in a tight area so vise grips wont do the trick. That was the first thing I tried. I was able to clamp on some of the needle nose style vice grips but there is no room for me to turn. Kind of hard to explain, but it is in a really tight area.

Old 04-18-05, 07:55 PM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
I found this on Sears website. Looks like it will do the trick:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00952166000

Old 04-18-05, 09:07 PM
its not really damaged , your just looking for a excuse to buy a spiffy new tool l

Old 04-18-05, 09:08 PM
S
That seems to be similer to the one I picked up at the Depot
It's made by Irwin
It has about 4 or 5 different sized "sockets"
Not what I would call a low-profile though
You can use a rachet, impact wrench, what ever
Very, very, handy
Works quite well, as I'm sure the Craftsman one would

Old 04-18-05, 09:09 PM
S
Originally Posted by mango man
its not really damaged , your just looking for a excuse to buy a spiffy new tool l
....and your point is?

Old 04-19-05, 06:06 AM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by mango man

don't tell the wife.

I just saw the Irwin set on Home Depot. I am going to pick that up today since I don't have a Sears close by.

Old 04-19-05, 09:18 AM
C
Mental Note:

Work on wife's car. Break something and tell her I can't fix it without new tool. Buy the tool with wife's blessing, fix car, and she's thrilled to have car back.

Cooooolll...

Old 04-19-05, 07:03 PM
Mike71
Visiting Guest
Home Depot here didn't have anything. Just picked up a set at Sears like the one I posted above except it has 13 sockets and a nice little hard case. Worked like a charm. Also picked up a brand new replacement bolt from Ford. Probably going to need a new tool box to put my new tools in, might as well get a creeper too so I don't have to crawl around under the vehicle.

need to add a sink in the garage too so next time I can wash up outside. This brake job is costing a fortune, LOL

Old 10-29-08, 12:38 PM
P
You guys ROCK

Hey everyone! I was having the same problem with my snowblower. There was a square bolt that I could not remove to change the fluids in the blades... Anyhow I tried the Gator Grip 1st and let me tell you that thing was a waste of money! it broke right away and ended up stripping the blot worse... So after reading this post I purchased the craftsman set you all recomended and that did the trick beautifuly! so anyhow I just wanted to thank you all for the great advice... And offer my advice "DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE GATOR GRIP!"

Thank again!

-Preston

Old 06-20-09, 02:17 PM
T
stripped bolt head

my lawn mower blade bolts were stripped really bad, I think superman works for John Deere and put them on. I tried gatorgrip and it did nothing, the one that worked perfectly was from Home Depot, a kit by Elkay with 6 different size heads. I banged the correct one on with a hammer used my socket and put a long pole on the end of a socket and kept smacking it with a hammer, came off in about a minute!!

Old 10-08-12, 06:22 PM
A
Thanks, I searched google for "how to remove a stripped bolt" and found this thread, it just so happens that's the exact same bolt that I need to remove. I was replacing my break pads and the first side went really smooth, second side not so much. I had to pick up my girl from work so I had to just throw everything back together with one side done, and now I'm going to try to tackle it in the morning.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: