is this a good deal?

Old 05-19-05, 04:45 AM
vertigo_phreeze
Visiting Guest
is this a good deal?

i havent had a chance to try it out yet, and if nothing else maybe it will make a good back-up or temporary drill till i get around to getting a new battery and charger for my cordless DeWalt, but i found an 800w Hammer (Imapact) Drill at Burke's Outlet (similar to BigLots) the other day. it was a brand called Hercules (never heard of it) and it's corded, but at $15, i figured it would be worth taking a chance on. its about the same color as the Makita drills, it has the depth rod, a level, the big handle on the side, 2 speeds, and came with 3 masony bits, 3 metal bits (i think) and 3 grinding bits. also, it was a 1/2 inch drive, which is what my DeWalt is.

i won't profess to be an expert handyman or anything, but from the specs, it sounded ok. i won't be using it everyday...just to drive a screw every now and then and i am gonna build a bar in the next week or so using the "flexi-rack" method, so its nice that my 1/2 inch bits will still be useable.

anyway, thanks in advance for the advice, and hopefully i will start coming around here more and more since i just moved to my first "real" place.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-05, 05:11 AM
Hi
Well there and old saying
"you get what you paid for"
If it work fine till it quit but for 15 bucks what the heck lol lol
I have a Makita 3/8 hammer drill for the pass 25 years and still going strong.
I paid back them 90 bucks on sale at HD.

Old 05-19-05, 05:28 AM
Group Moderator
I once bought a cheap $10 grinder for occasional use. It was made in some Asian country and slapped with a an American sounding "XXXX Electric" name. It sounded odd from the second I got it out of the box and turned it on. It lasted about 15 seconds, tops.

You do indeed get what you pay for. Hopefully yours will last a little longer than mine did. For occasional use, I would hope it would work ok.

Old 05-19-05, 05:49 AM
Originally Posted by vertigo_phreeze
...just to drive a screw every now and then and i am gonna build a bar in the next week..
I wouldn't recommend a hammer drill for these type of projects
A hammer drill is not necessarily the best back-up drill for the average homeowner

Old 09-10-05, 04:29 PM
vertigo_phreeze
Visiting Guest
hey guys, i know its been a while, but i wanted to check back in and let you know that the drill worked out fine. it turns out that one of the switches on it turns off the "hammer" thing, so it worked pretty much like any other drill i have ever used.

coupled with a table top Craftsman drill press my dad gave me, it worked like a charm on that bar i mentioned i was working on, here are a couple pics. i have also used it in the assembly of a few other peices of store-bought furniture, to install a securtity bar on the metal frame of our sliding patio door, and to put up a few shelves. even if it stops working tomorrow, i would say i definitly got my money out of it.

thanks again for the advice.

Old 09-10-05, 06:02 PM
it turns out that one of the switches on it turns off the "hammer" thing, so it worked pretty much like any other drill i have ever used.
Sweet
Sweet
Hey I think someone around here was looking for advice on shelves like that
If I find the thread I'll post a link