Best way to cut through a hot water heater tank

Old 05-20-05, 05:32 PM
Sachin
Visiting Guest
Best way to cut through a hot water heater tank

What's the best way to cut through the interior tank of a hot water heater? I'm using it to build a tandoor (Indian clay oven).

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-05, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator
Sachin,

A jig saw with a metal cutting blade would be a good tool to use.

Old 05-22-05, 01:28 PM
There are several ways to accomplish this task:

- Metal-cutting blade on a circular saw with the depth set just shallow enough to penetrate the metal skin of the tank.
- Sawzall with metal cutting blade
- Jigsaw with heavy-duty metal cutting blade (as mentioned already)

Due to rust and calcium deposits in the tank, a cutting torch would be less effective since the deposits would not melt. This would also leave a very ragged edge.

Old 05-23-05, 04:06 AM
Sachin
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by IBM5081
There are several ways to accomplish this task:

- Metal-cutting blade on a circular saw with the depth set just shallow enough to penetrate the metal skin of the tank.
- Sawzall with metal cutting blade
- Jigsaw with heavy-duty metal cutting blade (as mentioned already)

Due to rust and calcium deposits in the tank, a cutting torch would be less effective since the deposits would not melt. This would also leave a very ragged edge.
Would a circular saw with a metal cutting blade penetrate the interior tank? I have one, but I'm not sure it would go through that metal, which I believe is 1/2 inch thick.

Thanks,

Sachin

Old 05-23-05, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator
Sachin,

The thickness of the tank portion of a regular residential hw tank is less than 1/8".
When you say that the tank is 1/2" thick could you be referring to the total thickness of the tank with the insulation and outer wrap?
If so, I made the assumption that you would be removing the outer cover and insulation first.

A skil saw with an abrasive blade would penetrate an entire tank.
If you chose to go this route you would need to be sure to wear gloves, safety glasses.
If the insulation is fibreglass you would need a special respirator that is rated for airborne fibreglass.
If it is a more recent tank with foam insulation then you could not use an abrasive blade because it would burn the insulation.

A jig saw or recip saw would be the best choice.

Old 05-23-05, 12:10 PM
Regardless of the method used, the coverings of the actual water tank must be removed. The metal that encloses the insulation is quite thin and could be cut with tin snips. Since you are going to use the water tank as a firebox, whatever insulation exists should be removed from it as well.

From reading about tandoors, the hand-made units tend to rust out fairly quickly and require replacement about every 6 months. You could become very proficient at cutting up old water heater tanks.

Old 05-23-05, 04:30 PM
Sachin
Visiting Guest
Where do you read about tandoors? I thought about buying one but they are too expensive. I also thought refitting a Weber smoker as one.

Thanks,

Sachin

Old 05-23-05, 09:15 PM
One of the Google search results was

http://www.woodstone-corp.com/products_tandoor_3636.htm

the article compares a modern product with the primitive one. I could not find a price for it. You are probably correct - there is a durability vs. cost tradeoff.

Old 06-05-05, 07:53 AM
Cando Man
Visiting Guest
would a drum out of an old dryer work, if so and if your lucky to find the older drums can't remember which kind of metal it is so some one help me out there , they work great as burn tubs