? about miter saw, which to buy

Old 04-01-05, 10:53 AM
acura280
Visiting Guest
? about miter saw, which to buy

I am planning to buy a power miter saw and everyone recommends the $599 12" sliding compound miter by Dewalt.
I am more inclind to a 10" because of the cost of blades. I also don't know how much I will actually need the radial arm action, as I am doing some construction around the house and am by o means a professional.

Old 04-01-05, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
hi
i got a ryobi miter saw 10 inches and does me fine.

cheers

pg

Old 04-01-05, 03:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gee'z, If your comparing a 10" to a 12" slider, there is not alot of difference. Just buying the slider for $600 or so, put's you in the above average
catagory.

Technically speaking, the 12" blade advantage is primarily on non sliding saws, because it has a wider cut. On a slider, a 10" will cut wide enought that you can ignore the 12" (extra inch) feature.

Old 04-01-05, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
For someone starting out I seriously doubt you would have much need for a 12" slider.

The advantage of a 12" over a 10" is the fact that it will cut both a wider and taller board.
The 10" slider makes the 12" stationary blade redundant because a 10" will cut somewhere around a 10" wide board on a 90 deg cut.
The main advantage of a 12" in a slider is that you will be able to cut 4x4's which are too tall to be cut in one swipe on a 10".

The main advantage of a 10" slider over a 10" stationary is that you can cut a 6" wide board and up on a 90 deg with the slider. A 10" stationary is just shy of cutting all the way through.
Another advantage of the 10" slider over a stationary is the slider can cut a 2x6 on a 45.

Honestly, if you are just starting out I would suggest you get a 10" stationary and use the price difference over a 12" slider and buy another tool.
A table saw is an indepensible tool if you take a shine to building things.

Old 04-01-05, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
Got to agree wholeheartedly with GregH. I've been in the business for years and still don't see the need of buying a sliding compound, as I've gotten by fine without one this whole time. They are way overpriced, and you seldom need the sliding feature, unless you're cutting shelving or supersized crown or something.

Saving money and buying more tools sounds like a win-win situation to me!

Old 04-01-05, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator
I've actually been agonizing over a sliding saw for quite some time.
It seems that if you base your tool collecting success on coffee shop talk, a name brand 12" slider is the tool equivalent of getting a Hummer!

There have been some drastic price drops on import sliders whose quality would be well matched to a hobbiest's needs.
Here, import 10" sliders are selling for a 1/4 the price of the high end ones.

Old 04-02-05, 05:03 AM
acura280
Visiting Guest
My justification of buying the top end tool is that I will have it for years and may never have the need to upgrade. If I buy high-end like Dewalt and need to upgrade i can atleast recoup some of my cost in re-selling. Ryobi and other hobbiest tools have little resale value, and eventually I may end up buying high-end when the plastic based ryobi eventually breaks.

Old 04-02-05, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator
acura280,

Your amount of actual useage for this tool should be the deciding factor when considering how much to spend on a tool.
There will be some difference in quality when upscaling your purchase, but to spend in this case many times more to be able to recoup SOME of your purchase price down the road really does not make sense.
If money is no object then it really is a no brainer that to have top end machinery in your shop is quite rewarding.
However, the perception that inexpensive tools all prematurely fail is not in the least bit accurate.

Old 04-02-05, 06:22 AM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I have been lusting after the 12" Dewalt slider for a long time now
It's a nice machine, and I have looked/tried a few
Mostly why I have been considering it is because a large...and I mean large amount of my cuts are for 4"x4"s and 12" shelving
I also often have to cut material that comes in sheets almost 14" wide
I wouldn't be suprised if it was 1/2 of my total cuts are these types
Maybe it's only 1/3, but still, that's a lot
That's not normal use, certainly not homeowner use
But that's the main reason I'm considering the 12" slider, I do a LOT of big cuts
Right now I'll actually bring pieces back to the workshop to use the radial arm saw, if that's feasible, but usually it's not and I use a smaller (non-sliding) chop to it's fullest
It's a big debate in my head right now, I know I'll save time, but will I save enough to warrant the expense
I'm pretty good with a little one on big cuts
I guess my point is, I obviously could use the saw mentioned, and it would help me do my job faster (make it easier too)
And I can write it off as a business expense
But how much time am I going to shave off?
I don't use a saw every day
If I'm still not convinced it's worth it for me and my situation, I'm figuring it's probably over-kill for a homeowner
I think you are correct in your doubts about needing the expense of the 12" and the sliding feature

PS This was a bad time for me to write this as I have to got order cabinets for a customer today
I hope that saw is not on sale...I've almost convinced myself I need it
Ha ha

Old 04-02-05, 08:30 AM
Im in a similar delema..
I could use a mitre saw, occassionally. Had to rent 1 the other day for baseboards and went with a HD Ryobi 12" chop. Worked great. But I do like the Makita 10" dual bevel slider...but too expensive for me to justify.
Costco has a cheapo 'King Canada' 10" single compound slider for like $140. which probably would do me just fine...but should I? I know you get what you pay for...so Im not sure which route to go. Im still shopping!

Old 04-03-05, 01:59 PM
Lettuce
Visiting Guest
Do not buy anything but Hitachi man. Seriously... I've been using the 10" dual compound slider from HItachi for about 7 years. The new one with the laser is the best saw on the market. If you REALLY don't want to spend the $499.00 go with the 10" chop Hitachi. It's $179.00 at Lowe's with a 5 year warranty!!!! I use my saw all day , 6 days a week and I would go with nothing else. I have used the Dewalts' , Bosch, Rigid, and Makita, nothing is near the same level as the Hitachi.
Another thing, if your EVER gonna be cutting small moulding your best bet is a 10" blade over a 12". The 12" blades wobble a little to much for my liking! I pick up 10" freud and oldham blades for cutting MDF trim on e-bay dirt cheap. I keep a couple of Forrest chopmasters around for the homes that appreciate good wood and actually spend the donatos on some oak,maple, hickory, cherry and walnut. It sounds like you want to spend money on a saw one time and have a quality product. I PROMISE you the HITACHI is your "Hummer" of the saw world. And as far as not using the slide often, the ONE time you need it and you don't have it your gonna be BEATING YOUR HEAD ON THE WALL!! LOL.

Old 04-03-05, 02:24 PM
latuszek
Visiting Guest
I just ordered the Hitachi 10" from amazon, but now I am worried that it won't cut all the way through each plank when I do laminate flooring this summer. Should I keep the Hitachi and just use my table saw for the laminate or return it and get a 12"?

Old 04-23-05, 04:00 AM
Originally Posted by latuszek
I just ordered the Hitachi 10" from amazon, but now I am worried that it won't cut all the way through each plank when I do laminate flooring this summer. Should I keep the Hitachi and just use my table saw for the laminate or return it and get a 12"?
Not sure where you're at on this issue, but fwiw, I used my table saw when I was laying my laminate and that worked just great....as I dont have a miter saw and didnt feel the need for one for this job.

Old 04-23-05, 03:38 PM
J
Didn't read the whole thread but this don't look bad to me. Who knows it could be deadly accurate. Would like to hear form someone who has used it. No hypotheticals please. They also have a 10". I betcha its plenty good for around the house.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42818

Old 04-24-05, 04:15 AM
Joneq, my friend has one of those harbor freights. It is ok for around the house.

The biggest problem I had with it was that the fence is not set square, and when you go to square it, you might not like the way it tightens up and how little slack there is for you to square it up.

And as I recall, when you make a compound cut, the axis is really off so you may have to compensate to get a true 45/45 compound cut. But then that can be true with a few other medium brand name saws too. Just don't expect perfect compound settings and you will be fine.

All the 'action' (blade guard, compound handle to tighten, etc) is basic and not as desireable as a good saw, but it works.

If I knew I was going to make nice picture frames (4 perfect matching miters) with it, then I would not buy it, otherwise, it makes a good low priced tool for around the house projects.

The sliding action is roughter than a on a good brand name saw. You won't like that rought action much, but still, it works.

Old 04-24-05, 07:16 AM
J
Sounds like a

Old 04-24-05, 03:09 PM
S
Darn I did like that price
Thanks for the tip and the review guys
I also checked out a GMC 10" slider on the advice of my BroInLaw
It was also around $179
It was great for him for his deck and whatnot
But it's too small to be helpful to me
The fit and finish wasn't impressive, but it seemed sturdy enough
I would be a little concerned about wether or not it was accurite enough for my trim work needs...prolly not good for picture frames

Old 05-06-05, 02:13 AM
S
Originally Posted by acura280
I am planning to buy a power miter saw and everyone recommends the $599 12" sliding compound miter by Dewalt.
I am more inclind to a 10" because of the cost of blades. I also don't know how much I will actually need the radial arm action, as I am doing some construction around the house and am by o means a professional.

Save your money. A slider saw is over kill for general household work. I rebuilt my entire 1st floor last year, and added a 22X20 deck. I used a Dewalt706 compound miter saw.

Lowes has the Dewalt 705 for 200 bucks, you will never need anything else.

I had a slider for a few years and traded it off for a welder, I just didnt need it.

Old 05-06-05, 08:58 AM
Well .. I Finally got what I wanted.. the Mikata 10" dual slider...and just in time to break it in on my recent job.
I loved it when I first borrowed one..but didnt want to pay the CAD price tag up here.
Found it in Oregon (on a recent trip) for a good price...with a $75. mail in rebate.
Couldnt go wrong.

Old 05-06-05, 10:01 AM
S
Jatco - do you mind stating what you paid? I've been looking at that one for some time too (gotta like the dual bevel) and the lowest I can get it for is $689 CAD (no rebate).

Old 05-06-05, 01:20 PM
J
Listed on eBay

Here's one listed on eBay - current bid is $150 USD but there's 5 days left.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Old 05-07-05, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Stephen@Home
Jatco - do you mind stating what you paid? I've been looking at that one for some time too (gotta like the dual bevel) and the lowest I can get it for is $689 CAD (no rebate).
Well, while I was in Eugene, Oregon, I found the Makita @ Western Tool Supply. This one is the LS1011F..with the florescent lite..not that thats need much..but thats the newer model.
They were selling it for $499.99USD but said they'd price match from any other store. Another store, 'Bob's .. aka Lowes..was selling it for $479.99..so Western matched that price and also had the $75.USD mail in rebate...which was only valid in the USofA. So I mailed the rebate in, using my Mom's address in PA
Western does have stores in the Seattle area as well.
While I was on a job in Cloverdale,BC, I had to get some materials @ Southridge Building Supplies and they had the 10" Makita for $619.99 CAD. That was the lowest price Ive seen in CAD in this area.
The Ebay item looks like an older model...but his shipping is only in the USA..besides, Im always leary of shipments from USA to Canada..duty, taxes etc etc....

Old 05-07-05, 05:12 PM
H
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Save some money

Don't waste your time on compound saws. Go to a 10" radial arm and you can rip crosscut, dado,... to your hearts content. I found the problem using the standard chop saw could't cut a scarf joint on clap boards. I have a big compound Mitre chop saw and it's OK as a cut-off saw, for casings etc. I can't even cut a 1X6 without lifting the stock into the blade to finish the cut. This is where the advantage of a slider comes in. The only convience a chop saw has is portability. I can actually carry my 10" radial arm by myself but nearly have a hearnia doing it....The compound slider chop saw is ecentually radial arm saw with very limited capabilities.

Old 05-07-05, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by hvac01453
Don't waste your time on compound saws. Go to a 10" radial arm and you can rip crosscut, dado,... to your hearts content. I found the problem using the standard chop saw could't cut a scarf joint on clap boards. I have a big compound Mitre chop saw and it's OK as a cut-off saw, for casings etc. I can't even cut a 1X6 without lifting the stock into the blade to finish the cut. This is where the advantage of a slider comes in. The only convience a chop saw has is portability. I can actually carry my 10" radial arm by myself but nearly have a hearnia doing it....The compound slider chop saw is ecentually radial arm saw with very limited capabilities.
Oh.. so you'd rather deal with a (potential - and out of work) 'hernia' carrying your radial arm saw to the job site, than a slider?!?!?
IMO, a chop saw has its limitabilties. IMO... a slider is more compatible for the 'every day' -DIY'er..et al.
Every tool has its shortcomings, limitabilities and capabilites... but FWIW.. a compound mitre saw is probably 1 of the most versitile tools to the trade.
How much diff is the 'portability' of a chop saw...vs a sliding compound? Minimal, imo.
IF..at all else fails... tados can be done, with repeaded cuts... as Ive done in the past with even the minimal of tools...ie a circular saw.
Granted...more time consuming..but still got the job done w/o having to buy 'another' tool for A specific cut(s).
One has to do..with one has!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-07-05, 06:54 PM
S
Compound vs. Radial Arm

Originally Posted by slickshift
Right now I'll actually bring pieces back to the workshop to use the radial arm saw, if that's feasible, but usually it's not
At least in my case, this is getting a little old
I'm on a job an hour away from my shop, and I've had to flip almost every cut so far out there
I love my radial arm saw, but it can't come with me

Old 05-07-05, 08:11 PM
J
This isn't a bad solution to making all kinds of cuts. It seems like it would come in hany and it is portable. Ryobi used to make one. The only thing That turned me off was the noise, as I remember it gives off a high pitched sound so you need ear protection. I see the amperage is 20.9 which is really 11 I think in the real world.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42933

Old 05-08-05, 01:05 PM
countrymac
Visiting Guest
I agree with you slickshift. There are certain times when there's no beatin' a radial arm saw. I'm just gettin the feeling that acura won't be hitting the "job site" any time soon. If that's the case acura, and this thing is going to be staionary then I would get a solid 10" compound miter that will get major use and spend the rest on a radial arm saw from the newspaper. You'll spend much less than you are planning and have all the capabilities. You'll use the radial but not near as much as the mitre......i.e. longevity shouldn't be a problem. Have fun shopping.

Quick story-I was in Rockler the other day and this wife was idly hanging around her husband that was looking at router bits. She angrily asked "What am I doing here?" He slowly turned to her and replied "The same damn thing I was doing in Jo Ann Fabrics."-----classic

Countrymac

Old 05-08-05, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by countrymac
Quick story-I was in Rockler the other day and this wife was idly hanging around her husband that was looking at router bits. She angrily asked "What am I doing here?" He slowly turned to her and replied "The same damn thing I was doing in Jo Ann Fabrics."-----classic

Countrymac
Beautiful....just priceless......

Old 05-18-05, 08:45 PM
lantyr
Visiting Guest
I bought my Ridgid 12" non-slider about a year and a half ago and I love it! But one point I'd like to bring up is you can cut a wider board by putting a couple of other boards under the board you're cutting to bring it up higher, and you can cut through a wider board that way. The Ridgid comes with the nice legs and laser for $300 at Home Depot and does an excellent job. I didn't think I'd use it alot, but as it turns out I use it more than table saw or my radial arm saw, just because it's very quick to use and makes really nice, accurate cuts. I would never be without one again! But I do think that a 10" slider would be the ticket for someone that doesn't have a good way to make crosscuts on wider boards.

Old 05-26-05, 06:17 AM
S
10" Slider Reviews

Results of the 10" Sliding Compound Miter Saw Review by Workbench
Take it as you like, I just thought it might be helpful

"...most of the saws were tuned for accurate miter and bevel angles."
"...the fences and tables on most were dead flat and square. Milwaukee and GMC saws were the only exceptions."

1) Bosch 4410L "This saw has it all...slight learning curve but worth it...changing blades a nuisance" (laser)

2) Makita LS1013 "...performance of the Bosch, but with a few less features...easily the best buy..."

3) Milwaukee 6497 "...no-nonsense hardworking...excellent accuracy...quality after initial tune-up"

4) Hitachi C10FSH " ...very capable...lacks refinements of...previous saws" (laser)

5) Porter-Cable 3807 "Disappointing effort...adequate"

6)Delta 36-250 "... similarity...to the Porter-Cable, ...same problems...(plus) brings a few of it's own...incredibly stiff"
"We can't recommend this saw..."

GMC "poor...sloppy...can't lock...laser is usless...stock supports too narrow...might be worthwhile if you need to cut alot of large boards and quality doesn't matter"

Old 05-29-05, 06:18 AM
Slickshift, thanks for the review! I think I like the Bosch 4410l.

I noticed the DeWatt was not rated in the review. So I looked one up on Amazon and read the reviews. I guess it is a notch below the others, but priced higher. I had expected better from DeWatt The more I read, the more I learn.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: