Variable Reciprocation Supersaw?

Old 06-05-05, 03:31 AM
Variable Reciprocation Supersaw?

Hello,
I'm a beginning carpenter and want to buy a sawzall that does everything. I seem to remember one that has a variable adjustment on the length of reciprocation (not an orbital functionality), but now I can't find it at the local hardware stores. Does someone know what brand this might be and could you give an opinion if you think this would be the most versatile and useful supersaw to purchase? Thanks, CT

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-05, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator
gandtodd,

To my way of thinking a variable stroke length recip saw would not be particularly usefull.
I'm sure one could come up with a few reasons to justify this option but in recip saws a long stroke length is generally better for most applications in that it makes for smoother cutting.
Options I see as valuable in this tool are variable speed and toolless blade changing.

I have had a few makes but my personal preference is a corded Milwaukee for its power, smooth cutting, flawless blade holder and ergonomic design.

Old 06-05-05, 07:45 AM
Cando Man
Visiting Guest
u may be thinking of Porter Cable tiger saw the gray one

Old 06-05-05, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
I've got a PC Tiger and a Milwaukee Super Sawzall, neither of them have it. Not sure about actually being able to change the stroke setting, never heard of that... but you can change the placement of the "foot" (i don't even know the right word for it) on almost any saw.

The longer the stroke, the faster the cut. Reciprocating saws with 3/4 strokes are toys.

Old 06-06-05, 01:09 AM
My sawzall has a 1-1/4" stroke. The only time I wish it were shorter is when cutting pipes off inside of (or close to) walls and close to other obstructions. I've thought about getting a shorter stroke 'toy' for doing this. I have never seen a reciprocating saw with variable stroke

Old 06-06-05, 05:02 AM
Originally Posted by Phil H
My sawzall has a 1-1/4" stroke. The only time I wish it were shorter is when cutting pipes off inside of (or close to) walls and close to other obstructions. I've thought about getting a shorter stroke 'toy' for doing this. I have never seen a reciprocating saw with variable stroke
for cutting pipes close to a wall try a jigsaw ,

Old 06-12-05, 07:19 PM
the porter cable , makes a sawzall that the cutting end adjusts 90 down and the cutting blade can rotate 180 what a neat idea , i bought mine about a year ago and man its indispensible for those wierd locations.

steve