Gift Help! (Woodworking Tools)

Old 06-08-05, 09:30 AM
dane813
Visiting Guest
Question Gift Help! (Woodworking Tools)

Hi, I need some help finding a gift for my husband. He is graduating college and I want a great gift for him. He loves woodworking and remodeling. He has all the basic power tools, saws, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for a tool or something that he would love??? Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-05, 10:25 AM
It might help if you provide a price range?

Whatever you get, I would ensure that it is returnable in case he already has one. Buying from the big stores will ensure this, though simply asking at the smaller ones will likely cover that too. Just hang on to the receipt.

I've got a failry new cordless impact drill and am increasingly happy with it. they have only been around for about a year so he may not have one. Since he likes his wood you could also consider a router. He likely has one or two but I know a woodworker who doesn't consider all the bases covered unless you have 5 (plunge, table etc.). His guideline "why change the bit when you can change the router".

Old 06-08-05, 11:04 AM
I like these kinds of post!!! Tools tools and more tools!!!

Let's get started! Top of the list ($300 range) would be a combo package pancake air compressor and finish nailers. Sold as a single package deal. Home Depot or anywhere else.

Next on the list. ($150 to 200 range) A 10" bench woodworking band saw. No man would turn one down, dispite the fact that they are seldom needed. But when you need one, you really want one. (This suggestion assumes that he already has a power mitre saw and table saw which are more important)

Next on the list. (under $100) A top of the line soft leather general purpose tool belt with leather drill holster, and a wide padded belt with a standard steel large belt buckle, not a snap or clip. Throw in a utility knife, carpenters pencil and Stanley 16' tape measure.

I got a million more ideas, but these are fairly safe and sure to get a rise out of him.

Old 06-08-05, 11:22 AM
dane813
Visiting Guest
These are some great ideas. I need to search the garage and see what exactly he has. I am thinking a price range from $50-200. Thanks for all your help You are LIFESAVERS!!!

Old 06-08-05, 12:40 PM
$50 to $200 price range.

$100 Cordless 18 volt 5" circular saw. (My favorite)

$ under $200 Cordless combo sets (drill, and either a reciprocating or circular saw and flashlight)

$ ??? 24" laser level ( dot and line laser preferred, but dot only is ok)

A specialty coffee mug, resin molded with sculture of a handman, woodworker. Internet only purchase.

A tee-shirt that says, "Real Men Wear Belts" with a pic of a toolbelt.

A DIY t-shirt. They say "If you want it done right, Do It Youself". (It's pretty cool I think)

Somebody stop me, ahhhhhh!!!!

Old 06-08-05, 01:43 PM
Something a little different would be a Kreg pocket hole jig ($90-$120).

Old 06-08-05, 04:02 PM
dane813
Visiting Guest
Thank you sooo much for all your help! Trust me you have helped a ton.
Let me know if you come up with anything else. Thanks again!

Old 06-08-05, 10:03 PM
Here are a couple more that I have around that are pretty much indispensable to me, as I do different varieties of woodworking.

$50-$100

Random Orbital Sander
DeWalt DW423
Porter Cable 333K

Benchtop Drill Press
Delta DP200

Quality Cordless Drill
Hitachi DS14DVF 14.4 volt
DeWalt DW927K-2 12 volt
DeWalt DW926K-2

16" Scrollsaw
Delta SS250 variable speed

Benchtop Belt/Disc Sander
Delta SA446

Portable belt sander
Makita 9910

Corded Hammer Drill
DeWalt DW511
Makita HP1501K

$100-200

More Expensive Quality Cordless Drill
(Each brand has several)
Hitachi
DeWalt
Milwaukee
Bosch

Benchtop Jointer
Delta JT160

Biscuit/Plate Joiner
DeWalt DW682K
Porter Cable 557

More Corded Hammer Drills
Bosch 1199VSRK
Bosch 1194AVSRK
Milwaukee 5378-21

Dust Collector
Delta AP400

Congratulations to your husband. Whatever you buy him, make sure he makes you something nice with it!(My wife bought me a table saw some years ago, and the first thing that it was used for was a sewing table.)

Old 06-09-05, 01:44 AM
I'm a woodworker and though I'd wear absolutely any clothing, hang any art, or eat any food given me, and appreciate it, I can't help being picky about my tools. So my suggestion is to avoid buying something your husband's already rated against similar products. He's surely thought about getting a new router some day, for example, and already has a vague or definite plan. Don't cancel it.

Any product that's unique, you can safely give. He may not use it all the time, but when he does it'll be just the thing. That pocket hole jig for example, or just about any other jig or aid.

Any product that's clearly top quality, a perfect tool, you can safely give. A pricey blade for his tablesaw, an engineer's steel straightedge, even a box of staples is "perfect" for what it claims to be and will be used.

The one and only thing all woodworkers always want, though, is

wood.

Exotic wood. A slab of zebra or a couple sticks of purpleheart or anything you like; this will thrill him and it'll probably come back to you in one form or another.

Old 06-09-05, 05:25 AM
get him a gift certificate from woodcrafters ,rockler hardware or someplace like that .

our first christmas my wife bought me a 4"dremmell tablesaw becouse she saw me looking at one in the store and figured I wanted it . I told her it was nice put ion the bench and used it when I could but for the money there where lots of other tools I would have prefred

when I quit smoking I decide to use half of one months cig money on tools so after a month we went to hagh end woodshop and spent 50.00 on "fancy stuff"

so get him a gift certificate and go with him when he picks them out or sit with him and the catalog

Old 06-09-05, 06:05 AM
There are some things that aren't actually tools per say, that are really handy or helpful
A nice shop apron:
http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/83490.asp
A good book:
http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/95874.asp
I love my Pocket Ref:
http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/99723.asp
http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/99725.asp
These work gloves are great:
http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/2...05060907281091
A zen rock garden...(for a manly man)
http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/1...05060907281091
And of course the Crack Spackle:
http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/7...05060907281091
(you can play Plumber's Butt Pandimonium at this link too)
But I'm starting to get a little silly here
You might want to check that company's home page for some ideas
The Father's Day push is on so they have some good gift ideas

Old 06-09-05, 06:38 AM
Smaller but more personal gift items.

All this safety items for around $50 bucks:
1 set of good knee pads $15
1 set of good soft deer skin leather gloves $15
1 set of folding ear protectors $15
1 pair of safety glasses (not goggles) $5
1 pair of workmen suspenders $7 (sold near the tool belts)
1 logo workman T-shirt. $15

Another idea,,,
There are plenty of nylon tool totes, (tool box replacements) that are popular and quite useful. $35 to $50. DeWalt has a pretty yellow one with an aluminum handle that is visually stunning and would make an eye opener as a gift.

I'm guessing he is about 22 yrs old and has few, if any, shop tools and tables saws, etc. If that is true, then he would really love any power miter saw and they are affordable, from $99 up to $600.

Hey slickshift,,, plumbers butt. It's a riot, lol. I played the game too.

Old 06-09-05, 06:49 AM
dane813
Visiting Guest
Holy Cow!!!! I thought I might get a few ideas posting here if I was lucky. I had no idea I would get all this help. You guys are awesome. Thank you so much. You are total lifesavers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-09-05, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Hey slickshift,,, plumbers butt. It's a riot, lol. I played the game too.
Heh heh...
I knew you couldn't resist
The girlfriend has her high scores posted somewhere around here
I think she's starting a league

Old 06-09-05, 02:32 PM
countrymac
Visiting Guest
Dont' you guys love posts like these. It's like I get to go shopping for tools with someone elses money. Dane, if it were me I'd try to go for the smorgasbourg. Guys and tools are like kids at Chrismas. They love all the crap in the stocking. For the price range you're talking I'd get a five gallon pail (Always handy) and fill it with a random orbit sander, Kreg pocket hole jig (not the fancy expensive version), some self threading screws for the jig, carpenter pencils, sandpaper for the sander, DIY t-shirt, USA red, white and blue suspenders (Any real man will love these-got mine at home depot), safety glasses and last but not least a speed square. A "Bucket of Love" if you ask me. Don't worry if you don't know what these are. Just ask the guys at the store. Let us know what he gets. We're all jealous.

Old 06-09-05, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator
Geeze, I don't know how this thread is helpfull, we've listed darn near everthing in the tool store.

If my wife had bought me a special tool when I was starting out, I would have to say I would have owed her big time if she got me an 18 guage, 2" brad nailer with a small air compressor.
I've been doing the woodworking thing for quite some time and have only had one of these and other pnematic nailers for the last few years and don't know how I managed without them.

The problem with selecting a tool for someone else is that you don't know what kind of woodworking your hubby is going to do and a lot of tools are quite specialized.
A router is a good example.
I have had a router for many years and have never really used it untill I recently began to do some cabinet work.

A suggestion for you would be to at least get some idea as to what kind of projects your hubby will be initially doing.
He surely won't need a router if he plans to start his woodworking hobby by building a shed or a garage.

Good luck and let us know what your lucky guy is getting.

Old 06-16-05, 10:19 AM
countrymac
Visiting Guest
So what is he getting ???? Don't you know that there are a bunch of guys living vicariously through him right now? Spill the beans!

Old 06-16-05, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
I can't agree more!

All tool guys share a sense of joy at another's tool aquisition.
What do you think drives the urge to buy more tools.

Old 06-16-05, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by GregH
All tool guys share a sense of joy at another's tool aquisition.
What do you think drives the urge to buy more tools.
Without a doubt. I belong to one woodworking forum where heaven help the person that buys or receives a new tool without posting a picture of it. Sacrilege!

Old 06-17-05, 08:27 AM
Weekend project

A ‘Weekend project’ always:
Takes four times longer than you planned
Costs three times more than you expected
Requires twice as much lumber as you anticipated
Needs at least one more trip to the hardware store than you thought
Causes at least ten things to be added to your 'Honey-do' list while you are working on it.

Old 06-17-05, 09:25 AM
I'm into pneumatic fastening tools. As mentioned earlier, a combo pancake compressor with a 16-guage finish nailer is an excellent start. Then there's the narrow-guage stapler and the 18-guage brad nailer to round out the set.

There's woodworking and then there's construction - framing nailers, fencing/siding nailers and construction staplers.

The bucket of tools is a great idea. Bucket Boss and others make a tool pouch that slips over the top of a 5-gallon plastic pail. I have two, one in read and one in green. It creates plenty of pockets, both inside and out, leaving the center open to the bottom of the pail. Chalklines, speed squares, pneumatic oil, measuring tapes - it holds them all.

How about a low-angle block plane? It's very compact and removes wood in a hurry with very little effort. (mine rides in its box in the bottom of the plastic pail).