Ryobi Router Table Problem

Old 06-09-05, 10:13 AM
txpilot
Visiting Guest
Angry Ryobi Router Table Problem

I just purchased a Ryobi RT501W model router table along with a Ryobi R162K router and all necessary bits (1/4" collet). After assembling the table and mounting the router, I noticed that the router is mounted so far beneath the table that some bits don't even come flush with the surface . This is true even with the router depth set at max. It seems the problem is the adaptor base plate supplied with the table is way too thick.

I called Ryobi and asked them for a solution. They indicated I should purchase bits with longer shanks. They also indicated that Ryobi does not make bits with longer shanks and recommended I purchased some from Sears.

I deliberately purchased all products (including bits) from the same vendor to avoid compatability problems such as this. I think it's very disappointing that products from the same company don't even work well together.

That being said, I'm looking for any other solutions. I'm not sure if I'll find any bits with longer shanks. Would it help to get a different router base (i.e. plunge base)? Should I just take the whole thing back and purchase another brand?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-05, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wow!! That is disappointing. I'll tell you what approach I would use but I've been accused before of being overly aggressive with vendors so bear that in mind when you read my advice. Here's what I would do:

If you hang on to this package you will experience buyers remorse every time you look at it. So, you need to get rid of it. If you bought it from a local mom 'n pop store, take all the stuff you bought back to the store. Ask for a customer service manager (or some kind of Manager). Explain to them what you said to us and give them some kind of an idea what the inconvenience to you was. Also, let them know that you relied on the advice of their sales person and that you are dissappointed that no one gave you a heads up on the problem. Get them to take it all back and give you a something that will work.

But if you bought it from a bigger Home Depot type store I would take it further. Tell the manager that you always shop there because of their staff's product knowledge and the reliable advice they provide. Tell them this has been an enormous hassle for you and has shaken your confidence in dealing with them. Let them know you need them to make it up to you to restore your faith. Understand this person will be busy and will be looking for a way to end the conversation and send you on your way with as little pain as possible. Tell them you will be satisfied if they let you swap out the purchase for another brand of table, router and bit package at no additional cost. At this point I would know exactly which one I want (top of the line model) and have the info all ready for them. Get them to agree in principle before you even look at the price. These big stores have no cost (other than administrative) for returned products (Ryobi will bear that and in this case it sounds like they deserve it) and can afford to "make things right" due to their purchasing power. You are entitled to leverage that, otherwise why shop there? The manager also has the authority to "fix" problems (once they accept ownership of it) so give them a chance. Sometimes it is very easy and you will leave the store feeling better than you did initially. This will make you more loyal to the store becasue you have the confidence that they will back up their products. So it is win-win.

good luck.

Old 06-09-05, 01:03 PM
I've never seen a router that did not adjust flush with its base. I've never seen a manufactured router table with a base much thicker than 1/4". How thick is your table plate?

I have two ideas for you.

First and foremost. When you buy a router, it always comes with a plastic ring attached to the base. That is to provide a smooth sliding surface and is always used when you free hand a router. However, when you mount a router to a table, you must remove that plastic face and put it away. The router is then mounted to the table, metal router base to table plate. If you don't do this, then you will lose some precious depth!

Second. Check to see if the router collet extends flush to its base when not installed in a table. If not, then the problem is in the depth adjustment, however unlikely that may be.

P.S. Bits with a longer shaft, lol, very funny. No such thing.

Old 06-09-05, 01:47 PM
txpilot
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info guys. FYI - it was purchased at Home Depot. While I appreciate the input Steve, I'm not sure I'm ready to go beat the salesperson over the head with a stick. Yes, I admit I was venting, but mostly I was looking for info if anyone had similar problems with Ryobi products or if I should punt and get another well-liked (but inexpensive) brand.

Regarding the plastic ring, I did remove the one that came with the router. However, being the direction-following-to-the-letter idiot that I am, I attached the adaptor base plate prior to installation. The ring I removed is 3/16", the one I attached is a big honkin' 5/16", and the table thickness is 7/16". That cuts a whole 9/16" off of my depth!

As you suggested Lugnut, I checked the depth of the router unattached to the table. It is flush with the original ring as designed.

I just spoke with my dad and he just bought a similar Ryobi router table. He had the same problem and suggested mounting the unit without the adaptor base plate. Unfortunately, the holes don't line up on my table, but I might try the "universal clamping system" as the one-size-fits-all solution. If I'm not happy with this solution, I think a conversation with the Home Depot manager will be forthcoming.

Thanks again for your advice!

Old 06-09-05, 02:04 PM
You mentioned an 'adaptor base plate'. Mmmm? Sounds suspicious to me. I think that might be a special plate for use with a bushing guide kits, and not an adaptor plate. Routers often come with that extra bushing plate, but it is not an adaptor plate.

Normally, the base always mounts directly to the table, with no adaptors. Adaptors only cause you to lose depth in every case. In fact, I don't think there is such a thing as a 'router to table' adaptor.

If the holes don't line up, just drill new holes in the table. In fact, the table instructions probably indicate to do so.

Old 06-09-05, 04:56 PM
countrymac
Visiting Guest
Txpilot,
This shouldn't be this tough. My opinion is that if this is a recognized problem coming from the rep you talked with then take it back and let the manager know how unhappy you are. I'm not a fan of Ryobi anyhow. Also, this time I would get a router that accepts 1/2" shanks as well. I have a Craftsman and although it's no Mercedes I have had no complaints or problems and it is probably close to the price of your Ryobi. I would go with a better table than Craftsman has though. That's my 2 cents. Good luck,
-Countrymac

Old 06-09-05, 08:58 PM
txpilot
Visiting Guest
Well guys, as usual, Dad is right! I decided to ignore the kit instructions and use the universal clamping system designed for non-Ryobi brand routers. This eliminated the need for the adapter plate and gave me much-needed depth. Problem solved.

I did consider the alternative of drilling my own holes, but if the holes were slightly off, I would really be SOL. The instructions did not indicate any hole-drilling, so any warranty (and any chance of returning the table) would be null and void.

Once again, thanks for all who replied and all who let me vent my frustrations!!

Old 07-01-05, 08:41 AM
countrymac
Visiting Guest
Amen brother.
If you don't like something then take it back, tell them your problems and buy something else you find easier to use. I'm in your shoes too and have no time for that crap.

Old 04-21-09, 12:49 PM
Thumbs down Ryobi Router Table Problems

you are totally right about the difficulty finding bits with a long enough shank to work with the ryobi router table. what i do is fully extend the bit, remove only small amounts of material at a time and hope the bit doesn't fly off. this is a very dangerous way of using any tool. i think very little thought the went into engineering the ryobi router table. wait 'till you lose the mounting screws, they do not sell replacements, nor do they give any information about thread or screw size in the owners manual. when i called them, they tired to tell me that three screws were enough to hold the router to the table, even though it came with four and is highly unstable with only three.
i blame myself for buying this quality of tool in the first place.
they got me once but they will not get my money twice.
all ryobi will get from me are expletives that i best delete.

Old 04-23-09, 11:16 AM
Lugnut, you are exactly right. my ryobi router table came preassembled and i assumed ryobi assembled it correctly. i was wrong, ryobi was wrong, lugnut is right. removing plastic ring attached to the base of the router enables the router to be screwed directly to the table and the bits are now long enough. thank you.