cordless drill comparison??

Old 06-23-05, 07:25 AM
SB
cordless drill comparison??

Ok, in the past year i have TOTALLY burned up a craftsman and now black and decker 14.4 drills. i just use them around the house but i do abuse them (big lags, masonry drilling, etc). i am sick and tired of wimpy drills.

its time to step up to the plate.

After talking to contractors, reading online reviews, i am left with a pretty long list...can yall help me narrow it down???

bosch 18v
dewalt 18v
milwaulkee 18v
porter cable 19v
rigid 18v

i think the rigid has the best warranty (lifetime, i think) and the bosch and dewalt have 3 yr i believe. the bosch seems to have the most torque and the dewalt has the most speed.

i am getting information overload...im just looking for the most reliable drill out there.

opinons are requested. THANKS!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-05, 07:54 AM
My father purchased a Rigid to replace a Craftsman (the batteries had given out). There is NO COMPARISON in quality. The Rigid is sooooo much more solidly built. GREAT tool.

My father did also get a lifetime warranty on his (which, they specifically mention in the warranty info "means free batteries" ). Unfortunately, the lifetime warranty was only offered on Rigid power tools during a short time period. I think they are 3 year warrantys now. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they do the lifetime warranty again during a promotion.

Lucky for me, dad gave me the old Craftsman. My two batteries for my identical Craftsman are still good, so now I have one drill for drilling holes, and one for driving screws.

Old 06-23-05, 08:05 AM
Yes, you may be doing too much researching lol
That's pretty much everyone who makes cordless drills
Ha ha
But really I'm not surprised you have burned up the "homeowner quality" Craftsman and B&D
You are ready for a "Professional Quality"
All the ones you have listed will be a step up
The only ones I don't see are Makita and Triton
I personally use Makitas
They have worked well for me in a profesisonal capacity
Generally I buy a cordless drill based on feel, balance, comfort, grip, as I will often use them all day, and that stuff is very important to me
It seems the Makitas have won in that catagory over the last few years
Though to be fair, I haven't bought one in a few years (which is a good thing)
The 14.4 is going to need replacing soon, so I will be out there waving cordless drills about the store seeing which feels better
I'll try and keep the "vroom" noises to a minimum

Old 06-23-05, 10:04 AM
If the drill just must be cordless and weight does not seem to be a consideration, it's time the for the 24 volt units. Milwaukee has a 24-volt lithium battery that is supposed to be lighter than some 18-volt units.

My approach is different:
For driving fasteners: 14 volt cordless impact driver or corded 1/2" impact wrench
For masonry/concrete drilling: 7/8" rotary hammer, corded
For ordinary drilling in steel or wood: 1/2" Milwaukee drill or Hole Hawg, both corded. For lighter stuff - 13.2 cordless drill-driver, 2 speed

More power.

Old 06-23-05, 10:17 AM
The Milwaukee is actually a 28-volt cordless drill at $400+. Wheel kit not included.

Old 06-23-05, 11:13 AM
SB
cough, cough, $400?

i gave up on my cordless on my latest project and just went with my milwaukee corded...works great...but my theory is if i pay $XXX for a cordless bad to the bone dude, it better keep on ticking!!

i think i have narrowed further....dewalt and bosch (i can get the bosch for cost which makes them almost exactly the same price) im talking hammerdrills with these two.

Old 06-23-05, 04:45 PM
Group Moderator
I've got the 18v Dewalt kit which has the DC988 3 speed / hammer drill (plus 2 XRP batteries and the DC390 6 1/2" saw), It's been a great drill. The saw's great too if you keep a sharp blade in it.

Old 06-29-05, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by chirkware
My father did also get a lifetime warranty on his (which, they specifically mention in the warranty info "means free batteries" ). Unfortunately, the lifetime warranty was only offered on Rigid power tools during a short time period. I think they are 3 year warrantys now. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they do the lifetime warranty again during a promotion.

Just browsing around on Home Depot's page. Apparently, they are doing the lifetime warranty on Rigid again. See this page.

Old 07-03-05, 04:39 PM
I vote for Milwaukee. I have the 18v Hammer drill and am very happy with it. Uses the same batts as my Hatchet.

Stavs

Old 07-05-05, 08:24 AM
countrymac
Visiting Guest
Just picked up the Rigid 14.4 -3/8" this weekend. They are clearing them out for $100. Down from $170 and has the lifetime service guarantee. A steal if you ask me. Work like a dream too.

Old 07-10-05, 11:12 AM
If you set a number of lag bolts, then I would seriously look into impact drivers. More screws per battery charge than a drill.

I do not believe it is possible to find a good "universal" drill.

I own an 18v Milwaukee drill/hammerdrill, and it just doesn't cut it for much masonry drilling (makes an awful lot of noise, though). It does work in a pinch, for what I want: setting a few 3/16 Tapcon fasteners without dragging a cord out. If I have lots of those, I get out a corded model. As a regular drill, it works fine.

I have used corded Milwaukee, Metabo and DeWalt hammer drills, they do not impress me either. Bosch and Hilti do impress me.

I also would not want to lug around an 18v drill all day. Amp hour capacity is more important than voltage.

Old 07-14-05, 09:50 AM
Ive been using the ryobi 18volt drills for years im my door business. Great value and cheap price for batteries.I bought a new Ridgid 18volt this year "just because" its a very solid drill, but the batteries are $79 a piece, had i known that i wouldnt have bought it. The advantage is the batteries charge in 30 minutes for the ridgid, but they dont last as long.For the value will stay ryobi 18 volt in future, i have 3 of them, 1 went bad after a year, but factory sent me a new one, and i use them daily.They have enough power for anything i do

Old 07-14-05, 06:42 PM
I own PorterCable & Milwaukee and like them both.I have heard excellent reviews of Bosch & Hitachi also. With a higher voltage tool you also get greater weight,I wouldnt go over 18v