Air Compressor wiring

Old 07-02-05, 05:53 PM
woodzracer
Visiting Guest
Air Compressor wiring

Help...Seen a lot of threads reguarding air compressors but nothing about wiring for 220. I recently bought a used Dayton speedair compressor to replace my well worn and blowed up craftsman. It is a 2 hp that can run on 110/220. It currently has a two pole pressure switch that has the hot and neutral from the power cord on one side and another 14/2 cable with black and white wires going to the motor. Inside the motor wiring cavity, I have four spade connectors ( numbered 1,2,3,4 oddly enough) with two wires coming out of the motor labeled t2 and t3. The diagram on the motor label is vague but it show line on #1 and #4 and t2 and t3 on #3. I don't want to blow this thing up by switching wires around. I have all the numbers off the motor and compressor. Any ideas? Thanks....Shawn

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-05, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Shawn,

Do you want to run the motor on 220 volts?

If so there should be a diagram on the motor that shows how to arrange the wires for 220 volt operation.
Once you have the two hots in the motor they would be connected to each terminal in the pressure switch.

Old 07-03-05, 08:26 AM
woodzracer
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by GregH
Shawn,

Do you want to run the motor on 220 volts?

If so there should be a diagram on the motor that shows how to arrange the wires for 220 volt operation.
Once you have the two hots in the motor they would be connected to each terminal in the pressure switch.
Greg;
Yes want to run 220. And yes there is a diagram but I am a little unsure as to what goes where. The 220 Diagram is as follows
#4 Line
#3 t2 and t3
#1 Line

Now t2 and t3 are already hooked to #3 but where do I put my Red and Black hots and the neutral. I was thinking #1 and #4 for the hots but wanted to be sure. And as far as the switch, it basically is switching both hots if i understand what you'r saying. So I would run my feed into the switch, switch both hot leads and then another cable to the motor

Old 07-03-05, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator
Shawn,

Yes you are correct.
On 220 volt it is preferrable to switch both hot leads.
When connected to 120 volts you must connect the white neutral conductor from the power cable directly to the neutral connection on the motor and only switch the hot leg.

Old 07-04-05, 01:49 AM
Shawn,
Ive never seen a 220/240 volt motor use a neutral. Your black lead goes to one line and your red lead goes to the other line connection. I don't understand why your diagram does not have #2 attaching to anything.

Old 07-05-05, 03:56 PM
woodzracer
Visiting Guest
Hi all;
After much checking, I have learned something new. I had always considered 220 as two 110 leads connected and accordingly must have a neutral. I learned today that 110 is actually 220 divided in half and since that makes it single phase instead of two phase, needs the neutral to complete the circuit. 220 uses the other phase to complete. So now this all makes sense and I wanted to thank all for your help. ... Shawn