Sanding Problem.

Old 07-20-05, 10:34 AM
Still_Undead
Visiting Guest
Sanding Problem.

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'll just put it here. I am sanding the outside of my house, and for some odd reason, after sanding for 7 to 10 minutes, the sand paper just flies off the sander. I've tried two different brands and still have the same problem. Its that kind of paper with the velcro padding that attaches to the sander. This is my first time sanding, can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Old 07-20-05, 11:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 850 Votes on 779 Posts
You've burned the hooks off of your sander. This commonly happens when sanding up against an edge (like when trying to sand lap siding) and the edge of the sanding pad starts getting torn up. Additionally, applying too much pressure to the sander will make the sandpaper (and hook and loop pad) overheat, and you actually melt the plastic velcro type hooks.

Sometimes the plastic CFS disk is also worn out, which causes orbital sanders to spin out of control... and the faster they spin, more friction and heat is created, ruining your disk.

The only thing you can do now is order a new hook and loop pad from the tool company's service department.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: