Which "gun" for Moulding/Casing

Old 08-04-05, 02:14 PM
ShockValue
Visiting Guest
Which "gun" for Moulding/Casing

I am gearing up for a project where I will be doing the moulding/casing on 2 houses. As a treat to myself I've decided to get a pneumatic gun to help me through it all. These projects do not include crown moulding, just floor moulding and trim around the doors and windows. They aren't "fancy" houses, so the trim will be all the MDF type material that will be painted.

I'm a bit confused as to what kind of tool I will am looking for.

Do I want 15, 16, or 18 (or other) guage?
Do I want the magazine to be at an angle? Why (why not?)

I guess if I could get those 2 main questions figured out, I could really start to narrow my search as to which gun I want to buy. Currently I have a Porter-Cable FR350A enroute to me to add on a deck and move some interior walls around, but I don't really have any brand loyalty except that I want a solid "gung-ho DIY'er" quality of tool. I would rather buy 1 tool that would last me quite a few years and cost a bit more vs. replacing a cheap one all the time.

Any answers or specific models to check out would be much appreciated!

"What have I gotten myself into?"

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-05, 04:43 PM
I use a P/C 16ga straight, it's pretty versatile (int. molding, deck balusters)
I don't think you want an angled one
Everything you'd be shooting should be straight on right?

Old 08-05-05, 11:11 AM
I agree with the 16-guage recommendation, where the magazine is at right angles to the direction that the nail is driven. Angled-magazine finish nailers are typically 15-guage, the nails are still driven straight in but the magazine angle allows working in tight spots where the 16-guage magazine would limit access.
The 16-guage finish nails are significantly cheaper than the 15-guage nails.

The 18-guage brad nails are too light for the specified application. They do work well on quarter-round and other small trim however.

Old 08-05-05, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
This reminds me of the thread where the guy SWORE that angled finish guns have better holding power because the nails are angled. LOL! The worst part was you couldn't convince him otherwise!

If you can only get one gun, I'd recommend a Senco FP15 18 guage brad nailer, or similar, something that will shoot a 2" nail. I'd never use a 16 guage nailer on small trim, or on the narrow edge of casing. Smaller types of trim like to split if you use too big of a nail. If you'll never be needing 2 1/2" nails, the brad nailer is the gun for you.

Of course you could always treat yourself to two guns... Angled nailer + brad nailer.