air compressor

Old 08-13-05, 05:47 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
air compressor

We have a store called Meijer in Midwest. They are selling a Shop Force 1/3 horse, 2 gallon air compressor for 52 dollars. Is this worth it. I dont have any air yet and would like to start. Thanks.

Old 08-13-05, 12:38 PM
A 1/3 h.p. compressor is a very light-duty unit. It will take a long time to reach full pressure and a similar amount of time to refill if you use it for something like putting air in a car tire. The 2-gallon tank is just minimal as well.

If you want to put some air into bicycle tires, use a brad nailer or finish nailer or blow up some balloons, it will do OK. You will sometimes have to work very slowly, waiting for the pressure to return to where it was.

A better compressor will have a 4-gallon tank and a 2 h.p. motor, but it will be more expensive than $52. The compressors between $200-$250 are typically name-brand units, oil-lubricated and will last a long time with proper care.
Good luck.

Old 08-13-05, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 45 Posts
Lightbulb There is some compressor info in the sticky at the top of this forum.

mexican,

IBM is right about investing a bit more money to get a better quality unit.

Generally, an oil filled compressor is fairly reliable as long as it is belt drive.
There are quite a few oil filled compressors available but are direct drive and as such have a very low duty cycle.

The compressor you are looking at would only be good if you only used if for a few minutes a month to fill up an occasional tire.

Old 08-13-05, 06:19 PM
1/3 horse sounds like what comes on those 12 volt tire pumps. I would steer away from any such gimick.

Old 08-14-05, 06:54 PM
M
appreciate it

i didnt know how good this would be (or bad). I do a lot of remodeling and usually borrow compressor and nailer from a buddy. Thanks for the info and I will look for a sale on similar to what you spoke of. Thanks.

Old 08-14-05, 07:38 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
If you can't afford a good new compressor, look at some of the used ones for sale. I have a sears 1hp 11gal that I bough new 20 yrs ago. I over used/abused it for many years. I replaced it several years back with a 60gal 6hp but it still gets a lot of use from my kids. In fact I usually have to chase it down if I need air away from the shop.

Old 08-29-05, 06:05 PM
K
Those compressors are worthless for using air tools, other thant he occasional nail gun.

To use an impact you need at least 8 cfm, and even then you will be frustrated waiting for air. NOthing less than 15cfm@90 for using a die grinder.

Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: