What kind of saw?

Old 09-03-05, 10:35 PM
pegrini
Visiting Guest
What kind of saw?

I bought my first home this year, a 1928 bungalow. I am a babe in the woods where power tools are concerned, so please pardon the simplicity of my question: what kind of saw would you folks recommend to tackle cutting 1/2 inch plywood, baseboard molding, the occasional 2x4, etc.? I have very small remodeling projects, but I tell you, as a 50-year-old female, it's demoralizing to hack away at a piece of molding and have it look like rats have been chewing on it at the end of all that sweat! Do I need a table saw, a miter saw, a circular saw... or all three... or none? Ads for power tools paralyze me with choice and I don't trust hardware store salespeople much. I bought a reciprocating saw but all that seems fit to do is rattle the teeth from my head. Help! What is a good all-purpose saw, if any? Thanks so much.

Old 09-04-05, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Welcome.......The circular saw and table saw will both work for the jobs you list. And I say you can never have to many saws. You can get more precise cut with a table saw than with a circular saw. A circular saw will be much more portable. You will be able to cut wood at an angle with the table saw more accurately than with the circular saw. But you can get circular saw that will cut wood at a bevel. Working alone a circular saw will be more practical. Given the jobs you say you will be doing I think the circular saw would be the best start. A circular saw is a good multi purpose saw. I would get a full feature name brand saw so you get plenty of use out of it.

Old 09-04-05, 12:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I would also reccomend a circular saw for first buy. A sabre saw would likely be second. Sawsalls are great for demo work but aren't much good for any detail work. I put off buying a table saw for years [afterall I had a skil saw] After I bought one I don't know how I survived all those years with out one.

Last edited by marksr; 09-04-05 at 12:11 PM. Reason: need to learn to type
Old 09-04-05, 02:23 PM
for detail work , a miter box and handsaw can't be beat .

Get a 7 1/4" circular saw and a straight edge guide and you can do the ply and 2x4

Old 09-04-05, 07:47 PM
K
A reciprocating saw (sawzall) is an awesome tool. I have woodwork. CANT STAND IT! Im a metal kinda guy myself. A sawzall and a metal cutting blade can take care of things that an Oxy/acetylene torch would be COMPLETE overkill for. They are also great for demo work. The key to using a sawzall though is to have hte work secure, otherwise your just making tons of Vibrations.

Jim

Badmouthing manufacturers is prohibited in the Forums.

Last edited by majakdragon; 09-04-05 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Badmouthing manufacturers
Old 09-04-05, 09:02 PM
I love my recricating saw but its not aplicable to the applications requested

Old 09-05-05, 05:04 AM
S
A circ saw would be good for the ply
The molding, well, I like a miter box and a pull saw, but your "hacking away" reference makes me think you've tried hand saws and didn't have good luck with them
For 2x4s and molding a miter saw might be better for you if that's the case
10" should do it

Old 09-05-05, 11:26 AM
a cheapo handsaw is a nightmare

a quailty handsaw is a joy to work with

(and a whole lot cheaper and easer to store move around ect than a Powred miter saw for cutting occasinal molding )

Old 09-05-05, 04:00 PM
J
Joneq goes for the skil saw to. For the ladies he likes thisI may look around for a little better price though.

Old 09-06-05, 08:53 AM
countrymac
Visiting Guest
Circular saw??....on molding? You guys are way more skilled than I am. I need a crutch.
In my world (which can be scary) it's circ saw for the plywood and mitre saw (power) for the molding and 2 by's.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: