Air compressor question

Old 09-09-05, 09:08 AM
Air compressor question

I just bought a Kobalt 10 gal. oil-less air compressor from lowes. I have a couple of questions to ensure it is working properly.

Once the compressor is filled to max PSI (in this case 155 psi) and the pump turns off, is it normal for the pressure to steadily fall (like 1-2 psi per second) when you aren't even using an air tool??? (i don't even have a hose hooked up to it yet)

Also, when i hook the hose up to it, i both hear and feel some air escaping through the hose attachment. Is it normal to have to use Teflon tape on these connections, or can I purchase a better connection (i am using the accesory kit included with the compressor)???

Don't have any experience with compressors, and wondering if I got a faulty product.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-05, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums
The compressor shouldn't lose air like that. With that much air loss you should be able to hear it hissing. Is the drain plug tightly closed? Check all piping for any leaks. Some disconnects are better than others. IMO Milton makes the best ones.

Old 09-09-05, 11:00 AM
I checked my compressor again and I was a little innacurate with my first post. Without anything hooked up to the compressor it seems to level out at around 146 psi after filling to its max of 155 psi.

When I hook up a hose and tool, I can feel and hear leaks at all of the joints between the male and female (threaded) connectors (and the pressure drops more rapidly). Should I just use some teflon tape to satisfy these connections or rather than fuss with this, are there better connectors that don' t leak (or is this commonplace with most connectors).

Thanks again for the help.

Old 09-09-05, 11:35 AM
Threaded connections should have a thread seal such as teflon tape. This is not actually a sealant but a lubricant to make sure the threads are completely seated. Pipe threads are tapered and must seat all the way to prevent leaks.
Have you checked to see if the relief valve is "leaking off the pressure" between 155 and 146? Could be that the relief is discharging at a lower than set pressure. Good luck.

Old 09-09-05, 12:39 PM
Teflon tape is a must. You can getaway without it, but generally, most people use it.

Jim

Old 09-09-05, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
pat,

Teflon tape or some other pipe sealant is needed as was suggested.

As far as the compresser itself leaking before you start looking for leaks you need to give the check valve time to wear in.
I would run it a fair bit to wear it in and get the kinks out.

I recently purchased a Porter cable oil-less unit and it mas made quite clear when I unpacked it that the break in instructions had to be followed.
To break in mine they wanted the unit run for twenty minutes straight with the drain valve open so that the pressure did not build up.

Were there break in instructions with yours?

Old 09-09-05, 07:55 PM
I did the break-in procedure for about 15 minutes when I first started the unit. It does seem to be improving the more I run it-- so I think you may be right that i need to give it more time to break-in. I definetly need to get some teflon tape for my connections, also. I appreciate all the help, thanks.