Dremel thread size??

Old 09-09-05, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dremel thread size??

While attaching the flex shaft to a Dremel rotary tool you screw a cap (the one with a square hole in it) on the motor shaft. Can anyone tell me what size thread that is? A couple of years ago I found a site where machinists were in disagreement as to what it is. Obviously it isn't something the big box stores will stock but maybe a good old fashioned small town hardware store would! I've got some ideas for my own attachments to the shaft but thread size is holding me up. THANKS!!!

Old 09-09-05, 02:10 PM
Try http://www.dremel.com. They may tell you.

Old 09-09-05, 02:15 PM
S
My local hardware store is pretty used to me bringing odd stuff into the nuts'n'bolts section and trying stuff right there

I brought an exhaust manifold in once to find the right stud

Old 09-09-05, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
Talking You've been working on this a couple of years!...... I thought I procrastinated.

sandy,

Most locking collars have a super fine thread to allow maximum torque to be applied to the bit.
It is doubtfull you will find a common thread to fit.
A machinist will have a thread guage to size it for you.

If you have the cap and just want to make up your own attachments, would it not work to have a fine thread bolt welded to a shaft that fits the Dremel tool?

Old 02-12-06, 06:40 AM
B
I have found that the attachments from other manufacturers do not seem to fit so I was wondering if Dremel has used a unique size so you have to buy their products to fit. Just a thought.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: