Circular Saw Problem

Old 09-12-05, 07:39 PM
Circular Saw Problem

Hi,
I bought a B&D circular saw (corded) model CS1010K (if needed). I've never used one before but have pretty good home diy experience with most other tools.

The problem I have is that when I try to cut say, an 8x4 sheet of plywood with it (1/2"), the saw cant seem to cut it and the blade just stops until I release it from the wood.

Do you think the saw doesn't have enough power? I would have thought this is just a standard sort of cut?

James

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-05, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
Check to see if you have the blade tight and the washer properly positioned. I don't think those have a diamond arbor, but you could check that too.

Old 09-13-05, 05:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Also make sure the blade isn't in backwards

Old 09-13-05, 07:27 PM
Thanks.

The blade is how it was when I bought the saw but I'll try it the other way. Do you think the saw should be able to cut through 1/2" ply easily? I had to go back to using the hand saw for the job at the w/end, all 8ft of it!

I saw another post that discussed not using an extension cord, could this be the issue? I was using an extension.

Old 09-13-05, 09:16 PM
is the plywood propery supported?

sounds to me like the blade is binding in the cut .

you need to suport the sheet so it dosnt bind

Old 09-14-05, 06:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the blade was factory installed it should be correct. It is easy to check. The sharp edge of the teeth hit the wood first. It is ok to use extension cords as long as they are heavy enough. The longer the cord the heavier it needs to be. Don't use a cord that is smaller than 16 gauge. A circular saw should be able to slice through 1/2" plywood easily.

Old 09-14-05, 07:56 PM
That's a 13 amp saw. It must be binding or a lose blade more likely. I would take the blade off and reinstall it myself.It could also be a defective saw with damaged gears.

If you are using sawhorses leave the front and back of the plywood hang off the sawhorse 2 feet. In other words put the saw horse 4 feet apart so the plywood doesn't sag in the middle. Or lay 2 2by 4's on the sawhorse under the plywood.

If you haven't noticed already you will need eye protectin when cutting plywood. It wouldn't hurt to use ear plugs too. Once the ringing starts it is too late.

Wonder what the problem was----tobja?????

Old 09-16-05, 06:54 PM
Unfortunately I won't be going home till next thursday so can't test till then.

Looking back I think it may be that the ply was pretty flimsy on the workhorse/bench ( I was only using one and resting the other end on something else).

I hope this works out ok. I saw the saw in one of those Best Buy (not the store) mags about a month ago rates number 10 or something so Im sure its ok.

Thanks a lot for the replies, I'll let you know when Ive tested it

Old 12-04-05, 08:54 PM
Its been a long time since I posted the original message, but I just wanted to post back to say what the problem was in case anyone else gets it - it was just to do with the washer and nut not being tight enough (as XSleeper said).

Runs like a dream...!!

Old 12-04-05, 09:10 PM
Glas you tightened that blade like xsleeper And joneq said, "It must be binding or a lose blade more likely"