Stuck Jointer Blade

Old 09-14-05, 01:50 PM
John LL
Visiting Guest
Stuck Jointer Blade

I have been gifted with an old Craftsman 8" jointer and have been unable to get one of the knives out of the cutterhead for replacement. The wedge that holds the blade in place is frozen. I have tried penetrating oil, as well as WD40 and anything else I could find in the garage to free it up with no success.
Any suggestions short of buying a whole new cutterhead assy?

John LL

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-05, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
John,

We really need to know what method is used to hold the knives tight.

I have a Delta 4" and 6" jointer and they both use a plate with a jam bolt.
How are yours held?

If you provide the exact model number we may have a diagram.

Old 09-14-05, 05:43 PM
John LL
Visiting Guest
The jointer model is 113.20650. The three knives are held in slots in the cutter assembly by wedge-shaped bars retained by two cap screws. I got two out with an eye toward replacing the knives (very difficult), but have been unable to free the last one. They seem to be almost glued in place. All this happened before we retired, and I am just now getting back into woodworking. I seem to have misplaced the removed bars as well as the new knives so today I ordered a new set of knives and replacement bars. I still can't get the last wedge/knife out. If I cannot get it out by the time the new parts arrive I will return them and order a complete cutter assembly.

Thanks..
John LL

Old 09-14-05, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Here is a link to a parts break down.
According to the model you have a 6 inch unit.

Your knife attachment works the same as the Delta.
There are two bolts that tighten against the cutter and press it against the stop.
You need a narrow wrench to loosen it.
It is a RH thread and you will need to pay attention to which way you are turning it.
Try penetrating oil first.

Old 09-15-05, 02:19 PM
John LL
Visiting Guest
Greg..
Thanks. I went out and measured the thing and yeh it's a 6" jointer. Got confused because the Sears website parts breakdown lists it as an 8" jointer. Go figure.
Am unsure what you mean 'narrow wrench' since all the bolts are allen head capscrews. Gotta go out this evening and find some penetrating oil..cannot get the one capscrew out..amd give it one last try.

Thanks..
John LL