Another compressor question

Old 09-29-05, 03:57 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Another compressor question

Newbie here. Looking at puchasing a compressor initially for use with my nailers. But now I'm thinking I should purchase one that will run automotive tools also. I've been looking at a Craftsman oil lubricated 25gal compressor that's rated at 8.6 SCFM@40psi and 6.8 SCFM@90psi. Price is $369.

Question...is Craftsman safe to go with and is this a decent price? Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Old 09-29-05, 04:07 PM
Specifically WHICH automotive tools do you intend to use? There are some for which this one is inadequate.

Compressors for automotive use are typically stationary and use 220 volt power. Compressors for nailers, bradders and staplers are typically portable unless used in a dedicated wood shop. They are also 110 volt. Are you sure that you don't need TWO compressors?

Old 09-29-05, 04:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I used a 1hp 11gal sears compressor for many years [although I did reset the regulator] It handled most of what I threw at [struggling at times] It would only power a DA for short periods and would kind of keep up with an air file [at reduced pressure]. A friend of mine has a 2 hp 20 gal cambell hausfield which he has used for paint and body work [as a hobby] for 20 yrs. He is well satisfied with it.

A moveable 110 volt comp will never be anything like a staionary 60-80 gal 220 compressor but if you can accept the cfm limations you can do a lot with them.

Old 09-29-05, 05:32 PM
Z
IBM5081...you have a good point there. I wouldn't mind having two compressors

Old 10-03-05, 09:27 AM
Z
Any comments on the Sanborn compressor? This one is a belt driven, oil lubricated unit with a 20 gal tank.

Old 10-03-05, 11:02 AM
Sanborn has been around for quite a while. I reviewed prior posts and did not find any reference to a Sanborn compressor. I find Craftsman and C-H mentioned but no Sanborn. An oil-lubricated 20-gallon anything will handle most medium-duty needs but will not keep up with continuous airflow applications.
Ask your favorite auto garage to show you their unit. It will be 220-volt, 175 psi and have at least a pair of compressors on an 80-100 gallon tank. Might be more than you need.
Sanders, die grinders, sprayers, 1-inch impact wrenches and the like will gobble all the air you can throw at them.

Old 10-03-05, 11:25 AM
Z
Thanks IBM...for now I'm just looking to run the nailers and impact wrenches, drills, etc...I don't think I'm going to be using sprayers, grinders, sanders and such in the immediate future and when I do I'll just purchase one that will not move. I just don't want something that won't last long. This one being belt driven and Oil lubricated instead of oil less and direct drive seems pretty good, correct?

Old 10-04-05, 04:52 PM
chris-tool-pher
Visiting Guest
I would reccomend using a Porter-Cable compressor, especially if you are run nailers. They also have a few compressors that run 2 nailers off the same unit (which I have) and the power loss is nill. Also they are great for running auto tools as well (for example I run a torque wrench off of it and I use it to put air in my tires as well). They also have a bunch of different kits you can chose from as well. Just my personal preference is all. Hope this helps!

~Chris

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: