bostitch nailer not feeding

Old 09-27-05, 06:57 PM
lowvolttech
Visiting Guest
bostitch nailer not feeding

I have a bostitch n80sb framing nailer that will not feed nails through the clip consistently. I find that I often have to push the clip up by hand to get the nails to advance to the head. I would like to disassemble and clean the clip but I cannot find the disassembly instructions or a replacement clip for this gun online. Any suggestions? Any help will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-05, 08:27 PM
I do not have this nailer, but I do have two other stick framers - Paslode and Hitachi. I have read reviews of this nailer and find that jamming is not unusual behavior.
The name of the "clip" part is magazine and it's not designed to be swapped out or disassembled, though it's not impossible to do. The magazine on the Paslode is held together by two bolts at the back end. It is attached to the nailer at two points- one is bolted to the nose (the place where the nails come out) and through a tab at the back of the handle. Be sure to remove all nails from the magazine and let the follower spring travel all the way forward to avoid damaging the spring. A damaged spring will hang up where the damage is done, resulting in reduced feed pressure on the nails (DAMHIKT).
I had jamming in the Paslode (paper collated) until I asked the repair shop. I only do this for the Paslode; never had a problem with the Hitachi (plastic collated). It does work for me: do NOT store nails in the magazine. Remove all of them at end of work day. What was happening was that the last nail in the first stick of nails was getting ABOVE the first nail in the second stick of nails, causing the nailhead to drag in the magazine. So, here's the test: put just ONE stick of nails in the magazine at a time to see if it feeds more reliably. The stick must all be fastened together with the plastic. After I started keeping the nails in the box they were purchased in and leaving the magazine empty - no more problems.
I bought the nailer used and completely disassembled the magazine to replace the damaged spring as well as wipe out accumulated wood dust and dirt.

Old 09-27-05, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
Another thing you could try.

Here is a link to the manual and parts break down for your nailer.
Bostich says the complete magazine is NA but a service center may have a way of fixing yours.

Unless the magazine has been physically damaged it could just be dirty.
You could try flooding the magazine and driver area with WD-40 while sliding the pusher back and forth.
Don't be shy to really put the WD to it.
Compressed air would also help get out any contaminants along with the WD.