New mitre saw

Old 09-30-05, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New mitre saw

I have a few extra $$$ and I'm thinking about picking up a mitre saw this weekend.

I'll either go with the old stand-by - dewalt 705s
or Hitachi c12fch.

I've also considered the ridgid, only because I heard it comes with lifetime warranty, I dont need the stand it comes with.

Will be used for everything from fine woodworking, trim, rough carpentry, and hacking off 4's or 6's.

I've checked out a few of the other mitre saw threads. I don't care about lasers or digital angle meters. I want a workhorse that is Acurate!

Why don't any of these have a micro-adjustment, like I have on my table saw ? That would make it so much easier to get those precise angles set. Anyone here seen a wall corner that's exactly 90 degrees lately ? The common stops are nice to have, but I've rarley cut a peice of trim that didn't need a an angle slightly off the standard. Especially when doing an outside crown. Anyway, enough ranting from me.

Just though I'd see if anyone had other comments.

Thanks folks.

Last edited by gtm20; 09-30-05 at 11:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-05, 11:34 PM
Smile

Hey folks, I just went on to the dewalt website to check specs and I see they have a new series of 12" mitres. I'm not sure how long or if these are out yet. The dw715, dw716, and dw718. Looks like these are replacing the 705s, 706, and 708. Glad I looked before going out this weekend and buying a 705s.

These all have some new features. The thing I like is the detent over-ride. Allows you to lock an angle close to the detent(positive stop) without the saw slipping back into the detent. And also has a new cam lock. Kinda of like the hitachi saws have. and designed for easier lifting/portablility. Cool.

Has anyone seen these in the stores ? or better yet used one ?

I can't find them online anywhere.

I'm was going to buy a saw this weekend, but I may just wait to see the 715.

Edit: I found this press release about the new saws.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/pr...orking&ID=1396

Last edited by gtm20; 09-30-05 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-01-05, 04:38 AM
S
The Dewalts are nice
The Boschs are nicer
They have the micro adjustable miter
Did you see this thread:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=207760

I'd check out the Boschs
I think they have more features you are looking for
They are not much more than the Dewalts
If you try them side by side you'll see/feel a difference

That being said, both are pretty darn good saws
And I'm sure the Dewalt would suit you fine if you choose it

Old 10-01-05, 05:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 644 Votes on 596 Posts
I have both the Dewalt 705S and the 706. I've been happy with them both. I regularly have to adjust miters and haven't had any problems when I lock it down 1/2 degree off. once you get less than 1/4 degree, it wants to slip into the notch- i'll be interested to see that improvement on newer models.

Old 10-04-05, 05:32 PM
chris-tool-pher
Visiting Guest
Dont get the Dewalt- you will be sorry when your cuts are not straight and the saw ******* the bed after heavy use! I went to a trade show to see whose tools are best, wihtout a doubt Hitatchi and Bosch have the best Miter saws out there. Yes they are a bit more expensive but well worth it in the long run.

~Chris

Last edited by mattison; 11-04-05 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Watch the language. It's a family friendly site.
Old 10-07-05, 07:12 AM
Well I found and bought the new Dewalt 715 mitre saw. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it looks solid. I found it at a HD, after looking at 4 box stores.

I'll post a review after I've had a chance to use it.

Old 11-04-05, 12:37 PM
R
Originally Posted by chris-tool-pher
Dont get the Dewalt- you will be sorry when your cuts are not straight and the saw ********* the bed after heavy use! I went to a trade show to see whose tools are best, wihtout a doubt Hitatchi and Bosch have the best Miter saws out there. Yes they are a bit more expensive but well worth it in the long run.

~Chris

Are the less expensive versions still a safe bet? Hitachi has the C10FCE for less than $150.

Last edited by mattison; 11-25-05 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-04-05, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
chris-tool-pher's comments border on violating the rules about disparaging the products of certain companies. But he is certainly entitled to his opinion, just as everyone else is.

As I mentioned, I've used the Dewalt saws for years and have had no problems with them other than normal service issues from normal everyday use. I'm sure there are a few bad lemons out there, but you could have that with any brand of tool. In addition to a good saw, the type of blade used is usually the determining factor in whether your miters look good or not.

The Hitachi saws that I've used have a very short fence, that's the only beef I have with them.

Old 11-04-05, 10:36 PM
R
Originally Posted by XSleeper
chris-tool-pher's comments border on violating the rules about disparaging the products of certain companies. But he is certainly entitled to his opinion, just as everyone else is.

As I mentioned, I've used the Dewalt saws for years and have had no problems with them other than normal service issues from normal everyday use. I'm sure there are a few bad lemons out there, but you could have that with any brand of tool. In addition to a good saw, the type of blade used is usually the determining factor in whether your miters look good or not.

The Hitachi saws that I've used have a very short fence, that's the only beef I have with them.

Okay with that being said...if I'm just a "once in awhile as something comes up" kind of DIY'er, could a $100 Ryobi be suitable for use and still give positive results. I'm VERY new to saws as a whole, and I can't always take the store's opinion. They are trying to sell them afterall

Edit: I have been reading up on the Hitachi C10FCH. This seems to be a very well liked miter saw. Any thoughts on this one?

Last edited by Rapture; 11-05-05 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-05-05, 04:57 AM
S
Originally Posted by Rapture
.if I'm just a "once in awhile as something comes up" kind of DIY'er, could a $100 Ryobi be suitable for use and still give positive results...
Well, it's not quite so cut and dry
There is the contractor opinion-does it hold up with daily use and falling off the back of a truck-but there is another factor
The type of work

A cheapo will not be as acurate as a better model
Now if you are cutting deck boards, it really would be fine
Inside trim, well now you need something a little better
So you may not need contractor quality, but you need enough quality so your miters on your trim line up

Old 11-05-05, 06:03 AM
Group Moderator
Slickshift is exactly right.

chris-tool-fer is certainly giving you good advice about buying the best saws, and for a professional that's great but for a DIY'er that advice may not be practical. Sadly, my dad is a real hack when it comes to finish work. He's got a cheapo miter saw (Delta? Tool Shop?) that to me, is a real piece of junk since I'm used to using a saw with a 12" blade that cuts through oak like butter. But he's happy with it. I had to use it on one occasion and it was impossible to make nice cuts with it, but it seemed like the biggest problem with it was the dull blade and the fact that the miter adjustment wouldn't slide smoothly or adjust to 44.5 if I needed it to.

So I guess my point would be that as a DIY'er, you would surely be happy with any saw you picked out, provided it met your standards. I'd say that you want to get a saw that you can easily lock down at 44.5 or 45.5 without having it slip back to 45. Since you may need to adjust your miters a bit to make them look good, this is important. (not just because of the inaccuracy of the saw, but also because of the way the trim lays on the wall). Also, the miter adjustment should be smooth- it should slide easily without having to keep your other hand on the saw. Personally, I prefer a fence that is a couple inches tall, so that you can cut baseboard in position. Taller fences are safer, too. So my thought would be that you should actually visit some tool stores and try them out.

Old 11-05-05, 06:16 AM
S
... you should actually visit some tool stores and try them out.
Because no matter what anyone else thinks of them, you are the one using your tools, and if they don't feel right to you, you will not enjoy using them

You will also get a better idea of the quality levels by actually trying the action and miter adjustments

Old 11-11-05, 10:52 PM
R
Almost there.......stay on target.....

Originally Posted by slickshift
Because no matter what anyone else thinks of them, you are the one using your tools, and if they don't feel right to you, you will not enjoy using them

You will also get a better idea of the quality levels by actually trying the action and miter adjustments

I've followed the advice and went to a couple different places to feel the machinery (sounds creepy...). I've narrowed it down to the Ridgid MS1065LZ
10" with laser ($189) or the Hitachi C10FCH 10" with laser ($169). Can anyone comment on real world use? Or quality on these two? It's one or the other and $20 isn't so bad of a difference to matter too much.

Old 11-11-05, 11:01 PM
Z
If you can wait a few weeks I heard the Ridgid will be going on sale.

Old 11-11-05, 11:04 PM
R
Originally Posted by ZX1100
If you can wait a few weeks I heard the Ridgid will be going on sale.
Don't say that!!! I have this tickle in my pocket and want to see it in my garage asap Maybe the sale will fall in with the black friday sales after Thanksgiving

Old 11-11-05, 11:17 PM
Z
Don't say that!!! I have this tickle in my pocket and want to see it in my garage asap Maybe the sale will fall in with the black friday sales after Thanksgiving
I know what you mean. I've been traveling for work the past few weeks and won't be home until after Thanksgiving. Before I left I had the urge to buy the Ridgid so it would be there when I got home. I was at Home Depot and had it in the cart to check out when I put it back on the shelf after running into the Ridgid rep. He talked me into waiting for the sale after mentioning I wouldn't use it for at least a month due to travel. Can't wait to get back home, purchase my saw and start my project

Old 11-11-05, 11:36 PM
R
Originally Posted by ZX1100
I know what you mean. I've been traveling for work the past few weeks and won't be home until after Thanksgiving. Before I left I had the urge to buy the Ridgid so it would be there when I got home. I was at Home Depot and had it in the cart to check out when I put it back on the shelf after running into the Ridgid rep. He talked me into waiting for the sale after mentioning I wouldn't use it for at least a month due to travel. Can't wait to get back home, purchase my saw and start my project
Everyone hears about those "crazy" people who wake up early to get the sales... if HD or Lowe's has one on a good miter saw, well, I'm gonna be one of those crazies.

Old 11-12-05, 12:39 AM
R
I've followed the advice and went to a couple different places to feel the machinery (sounds creepy...). I've narrowed it down to the Ridgid MS1065LZ
10" with laser ($189) or the Hitachi C10FCH 10" with laser ($169). Can anyone comment on real world use? Or quality on these two? It's one or the other and $20 isn't so bad of a difference to matter too much.

Thought I would bring the question back to the minds of the many...

Old 11-12-05, 01:37 AM
Thought I would bring the question back to the minds of the many...
I was also satisfied with the hitachi. I think it's a pretty good saw, and you wouldn't be sorry for buying it.

I've yet to find a place that carries Bosch.

Old 11-12-05, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by chris-tool-pher
Dont get the Dewalt- you will be sorry when your cuts are not straight and the saw ******* the bed after heavy use! I went to a trade show to see whose tools are best, wihtout a doubt Hitatchi and Bosch have the best Miter saws out there. Yes they are a bit more expensive but well worth it in the long run.

~Chris
Chris, I'm just curiuos. Why don't you like the deWalts ? Do you really think they are that much worse then the others ?

The hitachi's are cheaper then the dewalts where I'm at. Altough I think they are a good saw, I think the dewalts just as good, if not better. Have you tried the new 715's(new series) ? They have a beefier fence then any mitre I've seen, and a few other new features worth checking out. Check out the dewalt site for details. Also, the mitres were dead on, right out of the box for me. The hitachi is little lighter built, although I still think it's a good saw too.

I've haven't used the bosch, so I can't speak to those.

Old 11-22-05, 07:44 PM
snapshotmd
Visiting Guest
I'm also trying to decide between the Ridgid ms1065lz and the Hitachi c10fch.

I've been trying to find user reviews on both of these but I haven't found much on Ridgid. In a nutshell, everyone agrees that Hitachi is a great saw that lacks quality features. Common complaints were it's made in China, the miter/bevel gage is glued on and comes loose after moderate-heavy use, comes with a 24T blade and it's necessary to spend more money on a decent blade to get good cuts. BUT the Hitachi warranty beats the Ridgid by 2 years (5 yrs vs. 3 yrs) and I think the only reason I can't find negatives on the Ridgid is the lack of user feedback. Also in Ridgid's favor is it's made in the US. The lack of info on Ridgid bothers me. It's probably true that Ridgid makes the 1065 exclusively for sale at HD which is why I can't find much user input.

snaps

Old 11-22-05, 10:00 PM
R
Originally Posted by snapshotmd
I'm also trying to decide between the Ridgid ms1065lz and the Hitachi c10fch.

I've been trying to find user reviews on both of these but I haven't found much on Ridgid. In a nutshell, everyone agrees that Hitachi is a great saw that lacks quality features. Common complaints were it's made in China, the miter/bevel gage is glued on and comes loose after moderate-heavy use, comes with a 24T blade and it's necessary to spend more money on a decent blade to get good cuts. BUT the Hitachi warranty beats the Ridgid by 2 years (5 yrs vs. 3 yrs) and I think the only reason I can't find negatives on the Ridgid is the lack of user feedback. Also in Ridgid's favor is it's made in the US. The lack of info on Ridgid bothers me. It's probably true that Ridgid makes the 1065 exclusively for sale at HD which is why I can't find much user input.

snaps
I think I'm leaning towards the Ridgid more than the Hitachi. Isn't Ridgid, like Ryobi, a Home Depot exclusive? I haven't made my mind up fully, but the Ridgid just feels better...for me anyways. Although, the Hitachi is nice. It may come down to "what store is closer" when I finally decide to spend some cash.

Old 11-23-05, 04:28 AM
snapshotmd
Visiting Guest
Isn't Ridgid, like Ryobi, a Home Depot exclusive?
Yeah, I think thats true. Now Im suspicious about the whole HD exclusive. Back when I was looking for a gas grill, I learned that the box stores had their exclusive grills manufactured by another company, mostly Chinese companies, and sold them under a trusted name. That may be the case here. Actually, I just assumed that the 1065 was made in the US.

Rapture, I think you and I are traveling in the same direction. I was going to get the $99 Ryobi until I found this place. Then it I upgraded to the $140 Hitachi c10fce. Then I went to Lowes to check it out and the closest they had in stock was the c10fch at $170. Comparing HD and Lowes products Ridgid is now comparable with a 10% discount.

I had to remind myself Im only going to be using this saw every once in a while. Do I really need a laser? Thats the only difference that I could tell between the two Hitachi models; the c10fch is a c10fce with a laser.

The impression I get is the Ridgid has a better laser but I have no facts to prove it. Hitachi users say that the laser is on one side of the arbor and youd have to readjust if youre cutting in the other direction. Also, the laser is hard to see in bright daylight. Im not sure if this is true with the Ridgid as well, or if Hitachi skimped on this feature.

Old 11-23-05, 01:07 PM
snapshotmd
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Quick!!! Ryobi CMS for $60 @ THD!!!!

I just bought the Ryobi that usually goes for $99 for $59!

THD just dropped the price. I know I was talking about getting Ridgid/Hitachi for 3x the price, but I figured that ya can't go wrong for $59! Heck, I'm just a casual DIY'er! (doing the happy dance)

Old 11-23-05, 01:30 PM
chris-tool-pher
Visiting Guest
I am an avid tool guy, and I love to compare tools- thus my reasoning behind choosing certain tools over others for CERTAIN jobs. I see that everyone makes at least one or two differnent tools in a specific segment that are dominant over everyone elses. So when the issue arises over what tool to use for a specific task I recommend what tool I feel is best suitable for the particular situation.

~Chris

Old 11-24-05, 11:35 PM
R

THD just dropped the price. I know I was talking about getting Ridgid/Hitachi for 3x the price, but I figured that ya can't go wrong for $59! Heck, I'm just a casual DIY'er! (doing the happy dance)
This must be HD's answer to Lowe's Delta brand miter saw for the same price. I have several of the 18V Ryobi's and the miter saw would "match" the rest of my tools, but I don't know if I'll be 100% happy unless I get what I originally wanted. The Ryobi just doesn't feel as smooth as the Ridgid or Hitachi models. I need to make up my mind soon...only a couple more hours until stores start to open to the madness. Which also makes me wonder why I'm not in bed yet

Old 11-25-05, 02:58 PM

lol, I picked up the same one. I went in for the 29 buck 18volt drill, but it was sold out, got the miter saw instead. Yeah, I saw the new miter saw with a ton of annoying safety features,so this model must be getting the cut. The new 10 inch has a new grip and another yellow safety button that has to be pressed for the saw to operate. Great grab, still wish I got another 18 volt drill for 29bucks.

Old 11-25-05, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by KevinB
lol, I picked up the same one. I went in for the 29 buck 18volt drill, but it was sold out, got the miter saw instead. Yeah, I saw the new miter saw with a ton of annoying safety features,so this model must be getting the cut. The new 10 inch has a new grip and another yellow safety button that has to be pressed for the saw to operate. Great grab, still wish I got another 18 volt drill for 29bucks.
they have the three speed 18v hammer drill for 49.00 , picked one up a hour ago , ehy had some of the 10'chopsaws left , great deal but I dont need one

Old 11-25-05, 04:39 PM
D
18V Drill

I picked up the drill and light for $29.00. I already had the drill and the flashlight, but the $29 kit also came with a battery and charger. I needed another battery. I'll just keep one in the shop and one in the house.

Great deal!

Old 11-25-05, 06:10 PM
snapshotmd, Let me know how you get the lock pin out of the saw, mine is still locked in the downward position, for some reason I am having a hard time removing mine it's kinda jammed in there.

Edit: Snapshotmd pmed me, the saw is really packed tightly so the first time using the lock pin it was a little sticky, so you really have to apply pressure the first time releasing it, after that it works like a charm.

Last edited by KevinB; 11-26-05 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-04-05, 09:37 PM
R
Still undecided...

I've been getting 20% coupons off any single item from Harbor Freight. Does anyone know about the "quality" of their miter saws? It just seems that they sell the bigger size, more bells and whistles, for less than say a Dewalt, Ridgid or any other brands. Would it be advised to stick to name brands when it comes to miter saws...even for just the weekend guy like myself?

Old 12-05-05, 03:44 AM
snapshotmd
Visiting Guest
Hey Rap, Do you have a link to what you're looking at?

Old 12-05-05, 10:02 AM
S
Looks like I missed the Black Friday tool specials posts
Ha ha ha

I do buy HF tools on occasion
But for the most part it's for one-project tools
Tools where I'm not sure if I'll use them often, or ever again, and I don't want to invest the money for a better one
I find if I use it 3 or 4 times after getting it, then I'll invest in a better quality one

That being said....there have been "one-off" tools from HF that I ended up using often and never have had to replace
They have worked just fine
I've got a grinder from them I've had for years

I wouldn't buy a saw there, it wouldn't be acurate enough for my needs (trim, custom shelving)
But it might be good for someone else
The price does reflect where they are on the quality scale
Lower than DeWalt (which I could use) and Ridgid (which is a HD exclusive and I thought was made "off-shore"...I was positive it was...I'll check on that)

Old 12-05-05, 02:12 PM
K
With any tool, I feel it's best to buy the best you can afford. If you need something for one job it is probably best to rent it. If you are going to make woodworking a serious hobby or a job, buy something that will produce high quality results. If you go the cheap route you will probably end up buying a new saw as your skills and needs increase, which ends up costing a lot more in the long run. I learned this the hard way.

I have used quite a few miter saws, from el cheapo ones to high quality sliders, and the saw makes a world of difference in my ability to quickly and easily produce quality and repeatable cuts. My favorites are the makita 10 and 12" sliders, but they are far too heavy for my liking as I need something mobile. So I chose the 10 in hitatchi slider, also an excellent saw. The 8 1/2" hitatchi slider is also great but it only bevels in one direction, which is a pain when cutting long material in a confined space. I haven't run into any dewalt's on jobsites, so I can't comment on them, but you cant go wrong with Makita or Hitatchi in my opinion. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Old 12-05-05, 05:52 PM
R
Here's the link you were asking about

Hey Rap, Do you have a link to what you're looking at?
Main page of miter saws
http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyA...ht/results.jsp

That is one of a few I've seen cheaper than brand names
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91852

Hope the links work.

Old 01-17-06, 08:42 PM
R
Well...over 2 months have past and I just picked up the Ridgid MS1065LZ 10" Miter. Very good feel to/for me. I think I'm going to enjoy this saw a lot. Just sharing the update on my choice.

Last edited by Rapture; 01-17-06 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-21-06, 02:19 PM
P
addition to a good saw, the type of blade used is usually the determining factor in whether your miters look good or not.

I bought a new DeWalt 718. Never used anything more than a circular saw before. What is the blade on such a saw good for - i.e. blades that come with saws usually are general purpose?

Old 01-21-06, 03:07 PM
Group Moderator
Congratulations on your purchase! I'm not sure which blade the DW718 comes with, but I'm guessing that it's either a 32 or 48 tooth general purpose framing blade or perhaps a 80 tooth fast crosscut blade. Both are "thin kerf" blades that will cut quickly without creating a lot of drag. The 80 tooth blade will produce finer cuts than the 48 tooth blade.

A 32 or 48 tooth blade would basically just be a blade to cut 2x4's with, or crosscuts in other materials (like plywood) that would not be considered "finish work". If you were crosscutting melamine and wanted both sides of the cut to look good, you wouldn't use such a rough blade. The 80 tooth blade might be better suited for crosscutting shelving or poplar 1x4's or similar crosscuts where a better quality cut is required. Experience will help you determine what the limitations are on your blades, along with what blade can be used with what material.

For trim carpentry, many professionals prefer a thicker, more stable blade that has less hook, and produces less tearout on the back side of the material being cut. They produce fine cuts that are almost like glass they are so smooth. This isn't the kind of cut you'll get with any blade included with the saw.

The blades included with the saw are usually just general purpose blades that I guess you might say are good for anything but top quality finish work. Thin kerf blades with aggressive positive hook tend to wiggle and vibrate when cutting thick, hard woods like oak.