What kind of saw to cut 1" granite

Old 10-05-05, 11:41 AM
RickDIII
Visiting Guest
Question What kind of saw to cut 1" granite

Ok, I've seen a few saws out there on the www that claim they can cut granite, but I'm wondering if anyone knows for sure.

I've seen examples of circular saws that take a garden hose fitting to supply water. Will one of these with a diamond blade be enough to perform some simple straight cuts. This seems like the setup I need, but don't want to drop the $$ until I know if it will work.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-05, 02:26 PM
if its for one time or occasinal have you checked out tool rental places ? .
I would

Old 10-05-05, 08:49 PM
chris-tool-pher
Visiting Guest
I think a diamond abraisive cut off wheel will work.

~Chris

Old 10-06-05, 06:35 AM
RickDIII
Visiting Guest
if its for one time or occasinal have you checked out tool rental places ? .
I would
Good advice. I have checked them out, and as always seems to happen to me, I am at the point where I have to consider purchase vs. rental value. Spend a little more and own it, or rent it one time. One of the big factors is that I mentioned that I will be cutting granite so they will not supply the blades or bits.

Right now I am leaning toward renting the drill, buying the diamond boring bit, buying a good saw (can always find use even if its for the upcoming kitchen tiling job) and buying the diamond blade.

Still comparing prices, etc. before making my final decision.

Old 10-06-05, 07:01 AM
Unless you are going into the granite business, have you obtained estimates for hiring this job out to a professional?

By hiring it out, you need not rent/buy any of the tools; it's built into the estimate. If something breaks or the cut is not right, it's not on your dime.

If you own the tools and are not in the rental business, your friends will want to borrow them for free when they want to work with granite or other stone.

Or you can become like me with a bunch of nifty tools resting on the shelf in the garage.

Old 10-06-05, 10:11 AM
RickDIII
Visiting Guest
Unless you are going into the granite business, have you obtained estimates for hiring this job out to a professional?
Yes, I've looked at this and for the price they want I can not only get some new tools but also afford the new workbench and cabinets I want for my garage. Truth is - I can't afford those guys and the granites free so if I mess it up, oh well.

If you own the tools and are not in the rental business, your friends will want to borrow them for free when they want to work with granite or other stone.

Or you can become like me with a bunch of nifty tools resting on the shelf in the garage.
Why stop now, not only can I add to my nifty tool collection but I can keep my friends loyal as well.