Tool for screwing 2 x 4s to joists?

Old 10-08-05, 12:49 PM
Tool for screwing 2 x 4s to joists?

I need to attach 2x4s to my ceiling joists before the drywallers come in, and I'd like to screw them in. Any thoughts on the best tool for this? This is the first time I've ever had a "need" for this type of power tool, so I don't want to spend a fortune, but I want something that will get me through the job (my basement is 22 x 22). #9 x 3" torx screws have been recommended for this -- do I need a drill/driver? Or just a driver (already have a couple of drills)? What "V" am I looking for? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-05, 02:05 PM
You can use your drill to drive the screws in
I would prefer a cordless driver for that type of project
But @ 269 for the 18v (the little one won't cut it) it's probably not worth the investment for one room
And of course that's all it does, drive screws
Oh wait, there's a light corded version for 99, I remember seeing it in the Big Orange's tool corral
Being corded, it may have enough torq, I'm not sure
I'll check into it, or maybe someone here has used it

Old 10-08-05, 02:21 PM
one time use , check your local tool rental places see what they can hook you up with .

or why not just use one of your drills you already own ?

Old 10-08-05, 02:23 PM
So it needs to be at least 18V? I doubt either of my drills have that kind of power, but if they do, I could really use them?

Old 10-08-05, 02:24 PM
I should add, that I want the tool to put the screw into the 2x4 and joist, without having to drill any holes. Or does that go without saying? Anyhow.

Old 10-08-05, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by printme
So it needs to be at least 18V? I doubt either of my drills have that kind of power, but if they do, I could really use them?

get some screws , take a 2x4 and try it

we used 9.6 volt drill/drivers for years and where glad to have them drove a lot of screws with my old 9.6volt Makita

Old 10-08-05, 04:16 PM
An adequate tool for the task is a 3/8" corded drill rated at 6 amps and 2500 rpm to minimize the weight.

Get 3" deck screws with a square-drive or combo-square/Phillips head. Pick up a pack of 5 square-drive bits in the 1.5" length. The screws are about $15 for a 5# box.

Proceed with installation.