Miter shopping


  #1  
Old 10-13-05, 08:56 AM
gm02
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Miter shopping

Just starting out and want to get involved with some projects, kids are getting bigger and it would be nice to start bldg things for them and later with them, also have trim work at the house that needs to be done.
Looking into Miter saws and wanted your input
My thought was not to spend much $$$ until I know it would get heavy use, my concern is on trying to save some $$ but do I end up throwing away $$$.
I do not know much about the saws but feel the miter is maybe the best to start with for its flexibility (based on this forum). I see some on ebay, what are thoughts on a couple......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...mMakeTrack=true

http://cgi.ebay.com/RAND-10-SLIDING...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hitachi-C10FCE-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Can you go wrong for under $200 from ebay, what do you recommend from what you see?
***What should I look for and what to avoid on the saws as I shop.
I appreciate any feedback, thank you
 
  #2  
Old 10-13-05, 09:10 AM
IBM5081's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 655
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
None of the links work for me.

I use a $100 10" CMS that is very light. It does everything that I need done. There are several brands in this category. I don't need a $500 SCMS nor anything larger than 10".
 
  #3  
Old 10-13-05, 09:34 AM
countrymac
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I have had a delta 10" compound miter saw for quite a few years and have had zero problems with it. You can get them at home depot for about $100. I would recommend it.
 
  #4  
Old 10-13-05, 10:56 AM
GregH's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 10,195
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Welcome gm02

There are several brands that are in the catagory of a 10" Delta and I think you wouldn't go wrong with any of them.
Get your hands on them in the stores and see how they feel.
I've had a simple straight Makita for years and comparing it to others, each saw has subtle differences where you may prefer one feature over the other.
 
  #5  
Old 10-13-05, 12:43 PM
gm02
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Miter Saw

Thanks folks, I'm going for saws in the Delta category, which I see at Lowes for $100.
 
  #6  
Old 10-13-05, 05:53 PM
gtm20's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 75
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just purchased a dewalt 12" saw model 715. It's a brand new model that just hit stores last week. In fact, most of the box stores didn't have it yet. I had to do some running around to find it.

Anyway, In my shopping, reviews, and hands on look and feel, I narrowed it down to the Dewalt or Hitachi. I think either are fine. The Hitachi is priced a bit lower. I didn't see the delta at all, but think they have always made a good product too.

For me, I thought it better to go for the 12" to get a little more capacity and power, even though they are a bit more expensive and maybe a more then I need for most jobs. But first time I tried to make a cut on a 10" and just it wasn't quite large enough capacity, I would have been disapointed.

I think a slider is overkill for most jobs and way to heavy to move around.

Sounds like your on the right track. and BTW: I think you made the right decision to buy a mitre as your first saw, and not a table saw.

Let us know what you get.
 
  #7  
Old 10-27-05, 11:14 AM
Z
Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 40
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've been shopping for a 10" myself and having a hard time deciding what to purchase. I was at Home Depot last night and was just about to purchase a Ridgid (had it in the shopping cart) and ran into a Ridgid rep. He recommended that I wait a few weeks (around middle of November) before purchasing because they will be going on sale

Any comments on the Ridgid units?

Thanks!
 
  #8  
Old 10-27-05, 01:09 PM
R
Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fruit Heights, Utah
Posts: 280
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZX1100
I've been shopping for a 10" myself and having a hard time deciding what to purchase. I was at Home Depot last night and was just about to purchase a Ridgid (had it in the shopping cart) and ran into a Ridgid rep. He recommended that I wait a few weeks (around middle of November) before purchasing because they will be going on sale

Any comments on the Ridgid units?

Thanks!

Don't know about the units personally, but I did have a question about the sale. Do businesses still offer the "if you buy it and it goes on sale within xx days" bring in the receipt and they will give you the credit? Don't know if places still do this type of thing anymore.
 
  #9  
Old 10-27-05, 01:29 PM
Z
Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 40
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rapture
Don't know about the units personally, but I did have a question about the sale. Do businesses still offer the "if you buy it and it goes on sale within xx days" bring in the receipt and they will give you the credit? Don't know if places still do this type of thing anymore.
I really don't know if HD has that policy. I know some stores do but I never really asked with HD. I'll be traveling for the first three weeks in November so it actually would work for me not to get one now. I was just purchasing one so I would have all my tools ready to go when I returned and start my project right away.
 
  #10  
Old 10-27-05, 01:51 PM
R
Member
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fruit Heights, Utah
Posts: 280
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZX1100
I really don't know if HD has that policy. I know some stores do but I never really asked with HD. I'll be traveling for the first three weeks in November so it actually would work for me not to get one now. I was just purchasing one so I would have all my tools ready to go when I returned and start my project right away.

That's probably a good idea. I need to get some tools as well. I didn't really need them while renting in an apartment complex. The initial shock of tool cost is coming for me as well.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: