Makita Cordless Drill

Old 10-13-05, 05:55 PM
shark
Visiting Guest
Makita Cordless Drill

Hello:

I've just purchased a replacement battery for my 7.2 volt Makita cordless drill 6070D. The battery is the type that needs to soldered to the terminals, as opposed to the click/snap in variety. I asked the service department to charge the battery prior to sending it to me to make sure it would take and hold a charge before sending it to me. My qustion is this. On the supplied sales slip the service department wrote a note that read: "Note the battery is fully charged, make sure to discharge battery prior to soldering in into your cordless tool".
Does any one know why I need to do this and is it not possible to just solder the battery in the way I received it?

Thanks to all those who reply. Sincerely,

Jack

Old 10-15-05, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 49 Posts
Jack,

One reason could be that if the terminals were accidently shorted, the battery could explode.

Just out of curiosity, what does a replacement battery cost?

Old 10-15-05, 10:25 PM
shark
Visiting Guest
I live in Canada and I paid about $40.00 which is about what I paid for the drill 15 years prior. The safety factor is the only thing I could think of as well. I also purchased a new charger, as I found mine to be faulty. Price for that was another $15.00. I should just have bought a new drill for all the money I've laid out so far. Thanks for your input.

Jack

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: