pneumatic tool repair

Old 10-20-05, 11:10 AM
TOOLCRIB
Visiting Guest
pneumatic tool repair

I was just wondering if anyone in here had any links or info on where I can find info on air tool repairs. Any help would be great. Drills , angle grinders, orbital sanders. All repair shops in my area are out of business and would like to do it myself. Thanks

Old 10-21-05, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Is this for yourself or as a business?

TOOLCRIB,

My experience with repairing air tools is that your best friend is the parts breakdown for what ever particular tool you are working on.

I've dismantled a few and what I've found is that even the top quality name brand tools are hard to get specific parts for.
My belief is that if a tool requires more than just a cleaning or common bearings it is not worth going any further.

A good cleaning will fix many tool problems. I've found that if you flood the air inlet with WD-40 and run the tool it will flush out a lot of dirt and moisture.
Do this repeatedly until it comes ourt clean. Let it sit overnight and repeat.
Run the tool for a few minutes to run all the WD out and finish up with a couple of drops of air tool oil.

Old 10-21-05, 07:48 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
WD-40 tends to gum up a bit. PB Blaster is a great product for this, and they actually have a special product for air tools.

What brand of tools are you looking to repair? Usually, The tool truck brands (snap on, mac, matco) can be repaired by a guy on the truck, and IR has a bazillion repair places around. Any other air tool brands will be kind of hard to get parts for. You can look up authorized IR repair places on IR's website... usually they can do other brands as well.

Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: