Table Saw

Old 10-25-05, 03:59 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Table Saw

Hi Folks,

Gotta quick question. The other day when I went to rip down some lumber on my table saw it started up and sounded normal but after a second the sound seemed to get much louder. It was almost like the saw was spinning alot faster than normal. I stopped it and checked underneath. Everything is tight and correct but the saw is still making that sound. I ripped down the lumber I had and the saw seemed to work fine but I'm still a little concerned about the noise.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so is it normal? Also do these saws have a governor on the electric motor and if so could it have crapped out?

The saw is a mastercraft (Canadian Tire) 10" belt drive table saw.

Thanks in advance
F.O.G.

Old 10-25-05, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
OldGuy,

Making a diagnosis by sound alone is something that comes with experience.
It could be anything from a bad bearing to a defective motor.
The starting switch in the motor is another possibility but a motor shop would be the best one to help you.

Old 10-25-05, 08:10 PM
F
Thanks for the advice. I'll take a real good look at it tommorow and see. I don't think it's a bearing since the blade doesn't wobble when you spin it and it cuts just fine. Given how cheap it is maybe I'll just use it till it craps out, since i'm sure it would be just about as cheap to get a new one as replace the motor on this one.

Cheers
F.O.G.

Old 10-26-05, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 50 Posts
You can use it but I would suggest with caution.
If you do not know for sure what the problem is you wouldn't want something to fly apart when you are using it.
You say belt drive but is the motor hanging from the back with a typical v-belt going to a mandrel or is the motor and blade one unit.
If it's one unit then they may call it belt drive, but the belt is a flimsy short one inside of a housing. They used the term "belt drive" very loosely.
In this case it would be better to replace the saw if you can't figure it out.

Old 10-26-05, 12:42 PM
F
Thanks

I'm going to turn the saw over and take it apart and have a real good look at what's going on in there. Hopefully I'll be able to diagnose the problem if not it may be a new saw.

Old 10-28-05, 02:57 PM
S
They've got a 3 year waranty on those saws (some of the older ones and all Mastercraft Maximum's have 5 years) so if it is under warranty you may wish to consider simply returning it. CDN Tire warranties are great.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: