Trim question regarding nailers...

Old 10-27-05, 12:19 AM
Trim question regarding nailers...

Ok...got the thumbs up from my loving wife to do whatever I want to the house (within reason of course). I am going to be doing trim (moulding) and had a question while browsing Home Depot. What is the big difference between a brad nailer and a finish nailer? Is there one recommended over the other? I'm so new at this home stuff...I almost feel too stupid to ask. But, there's my question.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-05, 05:03 AM
Group Moderator
Well, unfortunately, the answer is going to sound pretty stupid, too, because a brad nailer shoots brads and a finish nailer shoots....finish nails. So the answer is that the finish nailer shoots nails of a larger size. Generally a brad nailer is for smaller items. I use mine when I'm attaching trim pieces to a project or holding smaller pieces together. If you are going to be doing larger stuff, for instance moulding, you'll probably want the finish nailer.

Old 10-27-05, 05:24 AM
Group Moderator
The topic of "which to get" has been discussed here many times, but what it boils down to is, what will you be doing with the gun? The finish nailer which shoots nails of a larger diameter is for trim that is 3/4" thick or more, and crown mouldings. A brad nailer shoots 18 ga nails, but if you get one that shoots up to a 2 1/8" nail, it can also be used for most finish nailing purposes.

Heck, if the wife gave you the OK, I'd get the HD credit card and go crazy.

Old 10-27-05, 08:54 AM
Group Moderator
I just bought a porter-cable package from HD. It's an oilless compressor, stapler, brad nailer and finish nailer. Normally $330, now on sale for $300. No shipping on web orders over $49. Total package $315.41 delivered to my door. I'm going out to the garage after I get offline to start using it.

Old 10-27-05, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Rapture
Is there one recommended over the other?
You would probably get more use out of the finish nailer
The brads are great for delicate stuff, but I suspect for most of your work a finish nailer would be preferable

Old 10-27-05, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by slickshift
You would probably get more use out of the finish nailer
The brads are great for delicate stuff, but I suspect for most of your work a finish nailer would be preferable

So, the finish nailer wouldn't be "too big" for trim work?

Old 10-27-05, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by J.M.C.
I just bought a porter-cable package from HD. It's an oilless compressor, stapler, brad nailer and finish nailer. Normally $330, now on sale for $300. No shipping on web orders over $49. Total package $315.41 delivered to my door. I'm going out to the garage after I get offline to start using it.

Please post here of what you think of that package. I've had my eye on that for a week or so. Now that it's on sale...thae HD credit doesn't look so bad

Old 10-27-05, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by Rapture
So, the finish nailer wouldn't be "too big" for trim work?
Not for baseboard and door molding, that sort of stuff
I prefer it
The brads come in handy for little 1/4 round and more delicate trim

Old 10-27-05, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by slickshift
Not for baseboard and door molding, that sort of stuff
I prefer it
The brads come in handy for little 1/4 round and more delicate trim

Ok, thanks. I don't plan on doing any small "delicate" trim. I think the finish nailer would suit me a little better for my needs.

Old 10-27-05, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Rapture:

Used it today to air a tire and blow some spider webs and grass clippings out of the garage - worked great. Going to be using the brad nailer tomorrow for some base cabinet toe kicks. I see no reason to think that will go anything but smoothly.

Old 10-27-05, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by J.M.C.
Rapture:

Used it today to air a tire and blow some spider webs and grass clippings out of the garage - worked great. Going to be using the brad nailer tomorrow for some base cabinet toe kicks. I see no reason to think that will go anything but smoothly.

Good to hear! The only thing I keep thinking of is when you get a "package" at a good price, is the quality lacking with either the compressor or guns? With three guns and compressor for $300, do you see any quality issues?

Old 10-28-05, 07:13 AM
Group Moderator
Quality doesn't look like an issue and that's part of why I bought it - hard to go wrong with porter-cable. The only problem I can see at all is that the brad nailer will only go up to 1 1/4" brads and I wonder if I'll want another one that shoots longer nails down the road. For now, I'll just use the finish nailer if I need longer than that.

Old 10-28-05, 11:12 AM
If you need a longer nail, you will need a bigger nail (and a bigger head) too, just as you are doing. Those 18-ga. brads tend to curl back if they hit a knot. I have no problem using the 1.25" or shorter brads for the very small stuff. It won't be a problem.

Old 11-03-05, 06:10 PM
I bought a 3-pack

I bought the special Senco 3 pack (finish nailer, brad nailer & stapler).

I have use all 3 on my projects.

I used the finish nailer to install a hardwood floor & interior & exterior trim (galv nails).

I am using the stapler for soffit edges (control of depth of drive is important).

I used the brad nailer for really small trim pieces around the windows.

Very nice.

Old 11-03-05, 06:13 PM
Ha ha ha
Well, now...that's the way to do it
The right tool for the right job

Old 11-03-05, 06:27 PM
HD is great

I bought the Porter-Cable three pack. I went there expecting to pay the $299 that was advertised a few days prior and on the web site. It was moved to the "yellow tag" clearance. $259 is what I paid. One of the 1/4 adapters seemed a little faulty (wouldn't connect for anything). This was ok because I wanted the swivel connectors anyways. Awesome set up. Now I just need all my trim and a saw.

Old 11-03-05, 06:32 PM
Wow you guys are ready to roll