Need advice about B&D cordless drill

Old 10-28-05, 06:07 PM
W
waltham41
Visiting Guest
Need advice about B&D cordless drill

I have a Black and Decker 12V Firestorm cordless drill and recently the charger quit working, and it looks like there was some slight heat damage on the transformer of the charger.

Unfortunately I do not know which battery was in the original charger when it shorted out or whatever happened to it.

I sent off and got a replacement B & D 12V charger, and it charged the first battery fine (BTW both batteries were very low on charge and would not operate the drill at all when I got the new charger), but when I put the second battery on it I came back after an hour to find the charger had quit operating. The battery had some charge in it (barely rotates the drill) but not much.

Could it be that the second battery has a problem and killed the charger, or did I just get a bad charger?

I am not sure if a bad battery would have charged at all and that is where my confusion is at.

I would hate to discard the second battery if it is a good battery but at the same time would hate to get another charger and kill it with a bad battery.
Advice anyone?

Last edited by waltham41; 10-28-05 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Add in more information
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-05, 04:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 41 Votes on 33 Posts
Unplug the charger and open it up, Walt; there's a possibility that there will be a replaceable fuse inside. Sounds like the second battery could be the problem.

Old 10-29-05, 05:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if you just bought the charger dont open it ,return it .

Old 10-29-05, 05:11 AM
Group Moderator
Have another cup of coffee, Mango; he's already using it.

Old 10-29-05, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Have another cup of coffee, Mango; he's already using it.
not a coffee drinker

sent off and got a replacement B & D 12V charger, and it charged the first battery fine (BTW both batteries were very low on charge and would not operate the drill at all when I got the new charger), but when I put the second battery on it I came back after an hour to find the charger had quit operating
so it worked for one battery but crapped out on the second , I would return it "it dont work "

take it apart and there goes any warranty .

my advice would be return it for refund if possible and take the money and apply it tword a new drill. on the low end side when one compent fails its more cost effective to replace the whole thing in my opion

Old 10-29-05, 10:22 AM
ok I see the confusion by "dont open it" I was refering to your post :

Unplug the charger and open it up

Old 10-30-05, 04:49 AM
Group Moderator
Oops, duh! MY confusion, I thought you were talking about the BOX.

Old 10-31-05, 02:18 PM
W
waltham41
Visiting Guest
Thanks everyone for your replies, at least I most likely know what is going on now.

Thanks!

Old 03-19-06, 05:21 PM
W
wannahack
Visiting Guest
hi all,
Ok, i'm having the same problem with my BD 12v as the original poster but I'm pretty sure that the problem lies with the charger and NOT the batteries>.. I'm also a cheap SOB that won't spend any money unless I have to... To think I almost bought a new charger for $30!~
anyways, i opened it up and there's no fuse that i found.. the part that actually charges the battery seems very simple -- a circuit board with a few transistors and a the red LED and of course the neg and pos wires. Is there a cheap way to fix this. The board itself is blackened on one side.. Can I just go to radio shack and get cheap parts to replace this? Any advice on this would definitely be appreciated.. thanks in advance!!

Old 03-19-06, 08:10 PM
board blackned on one side , probably is just a few componts on the board , probably could repair it for less than 10 or so if you where comfortable with board level soldering and had the tools and knowldge to figure out what componet's failed

if you where that knowledgable you probably wouldnt be posting the question .

I would go buy a new drill if it where me