Miter/Table/Circular...which first/more versatile?

Old 11-02-05, 05:05 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Miter/Table/Circular...which first/more versatile?

Ok, I do have a 5 1/2" Ryobi circular saw. But it is cordless and don't think that size will do what I need later (for everything). So, my question is which saw out of the three is a "safe" first saw? My first project is going to be interior trimwork. However, once the weather is back to being warm, redoing the deck, bookcases...others. What do you guys think?

Old 11-02-05, 05:16 PM
for trim and decks miter saw

bookcase you will probably want a tablesaw unless its really simple in which case your circular saw with a straight edge will do ok .

Old 11-02-05, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
I agree, especially if you plan on doing your trim. Get a cheap miter saw (Delta or similar) and save your $$$ for a table saw. That'll be your next big purchase. No need to get a large miter saw unless you plan on cutting something bigger than a 2x6 with it. A small one will do.

Old 11-03-05, 04:49 AM
S
Me three
Although traditionally you'll often find a table saw as a recommended "first" or "most verstile" saw, the fact that you already have a circ. saw, and looking at your intended projects I would say miter for sure

Old 11-03-05, 05:13 AM
thinking about it , for interior trimwork /finish carpentry I prefer to use a miter box and handsaw. evan though I have a power miter saw

in which case you could skip the miter saw and go straight to the table saw the table saw would work fine for the deck and bookcase

Old 11-03-05, 10:30 AM
R
Originally Posted by slickshift
Me three
Although traditionally you'll often find a table saw as a recommended "first" or "most verstile" saw, the fact that you already have a circ. saw, and looking at your intended projects I would say miter for sure
Is the only difference between a miter and table saw is the fact you "feed" the table saw and you aren't restricted on the size of wood you're cutting?

Old 11-03-05, 10:51 AM
S

Table Saw

Miter Saw

The miter has more of a chopping action, wich makes it easier to "chop" off lengths of trim or deck boards to the correct length
It also makes it easier to angle cut, or miter ends of trim

These can be done with a table saw, but if I were doing trim or decking with just one, I'd choose miter

An entertainment center or bookshelf however....
Table saw hands down

Thank You Bosch Tools for the images

Old 11-03-05, 11:02 AM
chris-tool-pher
Visiting Guest
DO NOT buy a cheap miter saw like stated above!

Your cut will be way off if you buy a POS *brand X *, especially if your doing molding, they will not match up properly. I have heard and SEEN horror stories in instances like this.

As for the bookshelf- go table saw and make sure you get the extensions that way you can run huge pieces of wood through by yourself with ease.

Hope this helps

~Chris

Last edited by mattison; 11-13-05 at 05:29 AM. Reason: No brand bashing.
Old 11-03-05, 11:56 AM
R
Originally Posted by chris-tool-pher
DO NOT buy a cheap miter saw like stated above!

Your cut will be way off if you buy a POS **brand X **, especially if your doing molding, they will not match up properly. I have heard and SEEN horror stories in instances like this.

As for the bookshelf- go table saw and make sure you get the extensions that way you can run huge pieces of wood through by yourself with ease.

Hope this helps

~Chris

It does help...thanks. But I'm not doing this every weekend either. Will I suffer too much if I'm just doing this around my own house. I don't know if the cost will be justified.

Last edited by mattison; 11-13-05 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-12-05, 02:02 AM
Mitre saw is used for cross cuts (across the grain of the wood), such as trim, deck boards, cutting a board to lenth. Also for angled cuts such as a 45 degree for a corner, etc.

Table saw can also do cross cuts, but it is more difficult, especially for a beginer, to get the mitres accurate. TS is also used for ripping(cutting with the direction of the grain), cutting a board to desired width. Special cuts and joints when used with jigs. Can also cut large sheets, usually with a sled jig.

Circular saw can be used for cross cutting, ripping, and cutting large sheet goods, such as plywood. Circular saw will not be as acurate as the other 2 saws, and is typically used for rough carpentry(walls, decks, etc), not cabinet making.

For the projects you mentioned, I'd start with a mitre saw. You don't have to spend a fortune. There are 10" mitre saws available in the $150.-- price range and 12" for $250. that are perfectly fine for the average home owner. I'd look at the Hitachi or ridgid to start with.

You also asked about safety. All of them can be dangerous if not used correctly. Take your time with each cut, never force it, and hold the saw and work peice firmly. Get some cheap wood, and make some practice cuts to get used to it. Out of the three, I'd say the mitre saw is the easiest to use, but that doesn't necessarly make it safe. You can easily loose a finger if your not paying attention. The safety comes from the user, not the saw.

Good luck.

Old 11-13-05, 05:10 AM
M
Although my first saw was a Milwakee worm drive circular saw, if I had to choose just one I would go with the miter.

1. Miters can do trim & rough cutting of framing lumber. Circulars can rough & "miter cut" ... as long as you want the trim to look like "hand hewn" joints.

2. Table saws are nice, although I would never want to cut framing lengths on a table saw all day (hold an 8' board sideways and cut off a few inches), as well as try to feed a 12' or 14' board through it (perpendicular to the blade) and try to get a clean miter.

3. Ripping plywood lengths can be done with a table saw, or circular saw.

My vote is 1. miter 2. circular 3. table

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: