Drills/Rotors/Carbide Bits

Old 11-09-05, 06:16 AM
Terry Torial
Visiting Guest
Drills/Rotors/Carbide Bits

Is it possible to carve a name into a brick using a drill such as RotoZip? Or any other power tool? I have been looking into sandblasting but it is costly and you have to really get involved with it. I just want to carve a name into a brick using the most economical and fastest way possible. And it also needs to have a professional look to it. I'm thinking of buying a RotoZip but wanted to check with people that has more knowledge than me on this. Thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-05, 07:01 AM
...using the most economical and fastest way possible. And it also needs to have a professional look to it.
Reminds me of "Good, cheap and quick - pick two".
Have you considered making your own brick (like pottery) with the impression already part of the unbaked product?

Most approaches involve either a mask (for sandblasting) or a reverse-image mold (for pottery). I recommend finding a brick factory, asking them to make up a batch for you.

Old 11-09-05, 07:12 AM
Terry Torial
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by IBM5081
Have you considered making your own brick (like pottery) with the impression already part of the unbaked product?

Most approaches involve either a mask (for sandblasting) or a reverse-image mold (for pottery). I recommend finding a brick factory, asking them to make up a batch for you.
Thanks for the reply about making bricks, sandblasting and brick companies. My question was about carving a name into a brick using a power drill, though.

Old 11-09-05, 07:44 AM
Group Moderator
I would look into a pattern cutting bit for a roto-zip and then making a template to follow out of thin plywood.

Old 11-09-05, 08:01 AM
Terry Torial
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by J.M.C.
I would look into a pattern cutting bit for a roto-zip and then making a template to follow out of thin plywood.
Thanks a lot, J.M.C. That makes sense. I will definitely look into this.