My Estwing Stinks!!

Old 11-29-05, 07:44 AM
mattw
Visiting Guest
My Estwing Stinks!!

i'm trying to source a reliable hammer for general joinery purposes!!

i've not found one i'm really comfortable with just yet so i want to spend some money on one to see the difference as up to now i've gone for fairly cheap hammers.

its a core tool in my tool box and is used LOADS!!

please help! recommend me a great hammer!

cheers!

Old 11-29-05, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most of my hammers are framing hammers - 20-25 ounces with straight ripping claws.

Estwing does make a wood-handled, smooth face 20 oz. that works well.
I have other wood-handled units by Hart and Vaughn, as well as the black one by Stanley with the magnetic nail holder

My first recommendation would be a Hart.

Plumb makes some very fine hammers as well, though I only have a regular 16 oz. size that does not see much use.

Old 11-29-05, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 933 Votes on 852 Posts
All my hammers are Estwings. I love them all.

Old 11-30-05, 02:04 AM
mattw
Visiting Guest
its interesting that everyone rats the estwing because i have also heard that the fibreglass handled modles are fairly poor!

would you suggest a wooden handle over a synthetic material?

what about the head, is it wort spending a fair bit more for a titanium head?

Old 11-30-05, 06:12 AM
go to a couple of large home centers and hardware stores and see what feels right to YOU

they all drive a nail , from there its personell prefrences

Old 11-30-05, 10:12 AM
The titanium head theory is that a lighter head can be swung faster. Lotsa nails been driven without titanium in the picture. It's your money.

Wooden handles are supposed to transmit less vibration to the arm joints. A steel head on a wood handle feels pretty good to me.

You don't need more than 20-23 ounces of head weight. If you think that you do, go get a 2# or 3# drilling hammer or a 6# sledgehammer. Find a brand name wood-handled hammer with a smooth face that feels good in your hand and buy it. Probably cost $18-$30. It's your arm, so it does not matter what works for someone else. No one else will use the hammer in the same ways that you will.

Old 12-02-05, 01:55 AM
mattw
Visiting Guest
Wooden handles are supposed to transmit less vibration to the arm joints. A steel head on a wood handle feels pretty good to me.
how about the fibreglass handles though? don't they take the vibration better than a wooden handle?

and also what about the stanley hammers with the anti-vibe system? you know much about those?

matt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: