Info About "Biscuit Cutter

Old 12-04-05, 10:04 AM
joagee
Visiting Guest
Question Info About "Biscuit Cutter

My new son-in-law had his tools stolen and wants a "biscuit cutter" for Christmas... (I thought it was a baking tool).

Anyone have any recommendations for something that works well but is "moderately" priced. Don't have a clue as to where to begin.

Thanks!

Jo

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-05, 10:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
You should be able to find one or more for sell any place that they sell wood working power tools.

I have one of the lower priced biscuit cutters that I bought from harbor freight several years ago. I'm well satisfied with it but I only use it from time to time and not everyday as a pro carpenter might.

Old 12-04-05, 10:51 AM
joagee
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks so much for the information.

Which, brings up another point... my husband is a retired contractor and I've asked him about tools at Harbor Freight and he says he isn't sure about the 'quality.' Have you, overall, been satisfied with most/all of their power tools?

Jo

Old 12-04-05, 06:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
I have bought a lot of tools from Harbor Freight over the last 25 years. Some have been reconditioned name brands. Most have been 'their' brands. For the most part I have been satisfied - especially considering the savings. As a painting contractor I did use some of their tools commercially.

I won't say that their tools stand up in a head to head comparison with the name brand counterpart but well worth the price, especially for DIY work. With the excecption of 'disposable' tools [and a few that were lost] I still have most of what I purchased from them [in working condition]

Old 12-04-05, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
harbor freight has outlet stores , check and see if there is one near you , it will cut out shipping and make returns easier .

(we have one in town here )

Old 12-05-05, 05:57 PM
their standard shipping is to slow.it may be to late to order from them now and get it delivered in time for xmas. i have ordered from them twice and it takes 3-4 weeks with their standard shipping.
quality is fair nothing to brag about.
go to lowes and get the dewalt biscuit cutter,you won't regret it.

Old 12-07-05, 02:47 PM
Avoid the Porter Cable biscuit cutter with the vertical handle. Although mine works fine, the leverage from the goofy handle causes the slide mechanism to bind so I have to use too much force to push it in. I've used the DeWalt version that looks alot like an angle grinder and I like the action more than the Porter Cable.

Old 12-12-05, 07:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
biscuit cutter

As previously mentioned, make sure it will be comfortable to use. If he will use it alot, I can recommend the Dewalt cutter. It is easy to set to use on different thicknesses of wood, angles, and depths (0, 10, 20, etc.), and the centering marks are easy to see from just about any angle. It is sturdy, and weighty, so it isn't likely to be inadvertantly moved by the torque action of the blade starting or engaging the wood. Blades are readily available, and easy to change with the included tools.
Merry Christmas.