Router Bits sets on eBay

Old 12-19-05, 07:50 AM
snapshotmd
Visiting Guest
Router Bits sets on eBay

The ones that I'm looking at are the 50 bit 1/2" kits that are selling for about $50.
Are these worth getting? I'm not sure what could go wrong with these bits.

Old 12-19-05, 07:56 AM
countrymac
Visiting Guest
That's about what you would pay for two quality carbide tipped router bits.
And yes there is a huge difference. This may be a classic example of you get what you pay for. I'd stear clear.

Old 12-19-05, 09:20 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I've seen a few people suggest buying an inexpensive set new and then replacing the ones that wear out with quality carbide bits, that way the ones you use most will be better quality.

Old 12-19-05, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can see "inexpensive" but these are just plain "cheap". I can't buy my 3/8" bits for near that. Something doesn't smell right. Kinda like the wood you use these on when it burns. Good luck.

Old 12-19-05, 09:43 AM
snapshotmd
Visiting Guest
I've seen a few people suggest buying an inexpensive set new and then replacing the ones that wear out with quality carbide bits, that way the ones you use most will be better quality.
I've also read that in a book. It also says if I could get a router set at a good price, go for it.

Is the problem with cheap bits that they do a bad job, or is it that they don't last as long?

Old 12-19-05, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Price comparison: Lots of people rap Harbor Freight tools. They have a set of 24 bits. 1/2" C-3 Carbide for $60.00. For the hobbyist, this would be fine. I just can't see any way that a dollar- a - bit tool would last any time at all. I wish you luck on your projects.

Old 12-19-05, 01:20 PM
countrymac
Visiting Guest
Snapshot,
Here is the reasoning behind my reply: When I first started using my router I got a set of "inexpensive" router bits as a gift. They were 'ok' on pine with a few chips here and there. Then I used them on some maple and cherry and ruined the wood I was working on. It added more cost and huge headache. I then went out to HD and bought one bit for $27. It cut through hardwoods like butter...even the end grain and has been a workhorse for many years. I will never buy cheap bits again. i.e. you get what you pay for. Good luck,

Countrymac

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: