Miter saw stand- which one?

Old 12-20-05, 10:27 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Miter saw stand- which one?

Hi guys,

Looking to get a stand for my DeWalt DW703 saw. Lots of options it seems. The DeWalt stand is close to $200 but I know for sure it will fit my saw without having to mount plywood and the quality should be decent at least.

I also find a Ryobi stand at Home Depot which looks like it should fit too, its about half the price. Also at half the price is the Stablemate Plus100, again, looks like it should fit.

I really don't want to mess with having to add a plywood base, rather have direct mount. Most of my work seems to involve cutting 2x4s and 4x4s so I need reasonable strength.

Any suggestions? Is there any justification for going with the DeWalt over the Ryobi? Will the Ryobi actually fit my saw?

Thanks for any tips.

Tom

Old 12-20-05, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
miter saw stand

I use a Bosch 12" mounted to the Dewalt stand you are talking about. Believe me, it is well worth the $200. I have had it for over two years, and use it in my remodeling, repair and restoration business on a daily basis. The tires are somewhat softer than normal, and they climb stairs with little effort. It has roller extensions and stands rock solid on almost any surface, even Georgia red clay. I had to make a couple of modifications for the Bosch, but you are looking at a direct abc boltup.
I've looked at a couple of the other brands, but the tires are small, and they don't appear to be as solid as the Dewalt.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Old 12-20-05, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 856 Posts
I've got a buddy that uses Dewalt saws but has a Hitachi stand which he swears is better than the Dewalt stand. I'd like to use it sometime and find out for myself.

Old 12-21-05, 11:53 AM
W
Thanks for the replies. The DeWalt stand that I see has no wheels, its the carry-around model. Perhaps they used to have wheels? I don't really need wheels as it will just be used around the house.

From what I see there doesn't seem to be much difference between brands so I'll probably go with the Ryobi since its less expensive and is available locally. Anyone know any reason this would be a bad choice?

Old 12-21-05, 08:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
miter saw stand

No, the Ryobi is a fine choice if you are just going to be using it around the house. Check features that may influence your decision such as *does it have roller extensions for longer wood, *does it collapse for storage with the saw attached, *does it accept mounting of your brand of saw.
Good luck and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Old 12-22-05, 05:48 AM
W
Originally Posted by chandler
No, the Ryobi is a fine choice if you are just going to be using it around the house. Check features that may influence your decision such as *does it have roller extensions for longer wood, *does it collapse for storage with the saw attached, *does it accept mounting of your brand of saw.
Good luck and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Thanks. Yea, it has the extensions and the stop for repetitive cuts. Not sure if it folds with saw attached but the saw comes off very easily so I could live with it either way.

Strictly household use, rebuilding my back porch after Wilma now and after that it'll be sporadic use. Probably would not even buy a stand except I've screwed up my back and using the saw on the floor and getting up and down constantly will not not be happy.

Thanks again!

Tom

Old 12-22-05, 06:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Be sure to check the height of any table you buy. Some of the 'off brands' appear to have all the features but in a down sized product. I also have a bad back and hate any table that forces me to bend over. Even my table saw has 4" blocks under it.

Old 12-22-05, 10:06 AM
W
Originally Posted by marksr
Be sure to check the height of any table you buy. Some of the 'off brands' appear to have all the features but in a down sized product. I also have a bad back and hate any table that forces me to bend over. Even my table saw has 4" blocks under it.
Good thinking! It looks to about the same as other popular ones, should work pretty well for me. Will know for sure soon as its in the car...

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Old 12-27-05, 04:39 AM
W
Just as a follow-up, the Ryobi stand fits the DeWalt saw perfectly. The stand is solid and well built. It easily and securely folds, although the saw needs to come off for folding (this takes seconds and no tools). All in all I think its an excellent value and I expect to get years of good service from it.

Thanks again everyone! Hope you all had a happy Christmas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: