Compressor air line, 1/2" or 3/8"

Old 12-27-05, 07:48 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Compressor air line, 1/2" or 3/8"

Just got a new air tool set with 50' of 3/8 air hose. My compressor is in the basement and I need to run black steel piping out to my garage so I can connect this 50' 3/8 retractable air line. Should I use 1/2" or 3/8" black pipe to run off my compressor to my garage, about 25'. Thanks............

Old 12-27-05, 08:05 AM
My opinion would be to run it in 1/2". Most air tools reduce to a 1/4" fitting but I like to have the volume in the supply line. Don't forget about condensation in the line. You may want a drip-leg with a valve at the end of the supply line so you can drain water out of it. Good luck.

Old 12-27-05, 09:59 AM
G
I'll run 1/2" out to my garage and put a dip tube on. After I get that 1/2" line to the garage, it will be going to a 3/8" retractable hose, is that alright? Also should I put one of those air water filters on the end of this line and then connect the 3/8 line to that? I already have a filter coming off the compressor now.

Old 12-27-05, 10:39 AM
Your idea sounds good. I would install a filter and possibly a combination filter and oiler. Norgren makes nice set-ups.

Old 12-27-05, 12:49 PM
G
Thank you for the help..........

Old 12-29-05, 05:43 PM
K
run whatever the compressor outlet is, and remember to put the filter at the VERY END of the black pipe run. The reason is that the filter will catch scale from the black pipe before it hits your air tools. The moisture causes the inside of the black pipe to flake off, so you cant have any black pipe after the filter, unless your using, say, a refridgerated dryer giving perfetly dry air. Copper might be a better choice because its easier to work with, and you dont have the constraint of the filter.

Jim

Old 12-30-05, 06:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 403 Votes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by majakdragon
Your idea sounds good. I would install a filter and possibly a combination filter and oiler. Norgren makes nice set-ups.

A filter is always a good idea and a self oiler can be nice but if you plan to do any painting - don't use an oiler. The oil residue that gets left in the air line can transfer to the painted surface causing problems.

Old 01-01-06, 05:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Compressor air line

One more thing to consider, since your compressor is remote, and you are adding filter, go ahead and put in a regulator at the end, after the filter and leave out the oiler. That way, when you go to use a low pressure sprayer, you can adjust it right there in the garage rather than going back and forth to the compressor itself. An oiler is a nice item to have if all you use is tools that you forget to oil. Oiling the tool directly is the best method anyway.
Good luck and Happy New Year!
Larry

Old 01-06-06, 05:02 PM
G
thanks for the help.....................

Last edited by grantiman; 01-06-06 at 05:19 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: