Removing rust and paint with Angle Grinder

Old 12-28-05, 10:53 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing rust and paint with Angle Grinder

I am rebuilding a badly rusted mower deck. Now that I have it apart, I need to remove the rust and old paint. I acquired a 10 amp 4.5 inch Dewalt angle grinder to do the job but I am uncertain about which accessories to use. I have looked at cups with crimped or knotted wire and wheels with the same, sanding pads, sanding flappers and a paint stripping pad(Stotch Brite on Steriods)

I can't remove too much metal since some of the rust pockets are fairly deep. I want to avoid needing to do welding on the deck.

Any recommendations which to use?

Old 12-29-05, 02:14 AM
M
Use the knotted cup brush along with a good pair of safety glasses, face shield would be better.
Mike

Old 12-29-05, 06:15 AM
The wire wheel will throw wires at you. Protect your neck and any other exposed skin.

If the deck is that thin, see if you can find a better deck under a trashed motor. Save the grinding time.

Old 12-29-05, 06:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Originally Posted by IBM5081
If the deck is that thin, see if you can find a better deck under a trashed motor. Save the grinding time.

I agree. You can often get an old non working mower for free or next to nothing. Just be sure the motor will fit. 25 yrs ago I put a long shaft motor on a short shaft frame/deck, had to raise the motor with plywood, lower the wheels and cut the grass short.

Old 12-29-05, 09:02 AM
E
Thanks for the thought on the wire cup versus the wheel. I read on the web that angle grinders are very dangerous so anything I can do to reduce the risk is great. I think a full face shield is in my future.

About the mower deck,
It is a 1976 John Deere 300 garden tractor with a 48 mower that I am restoring so there isn't to many extra decks avaiable

Old 12-29-05, 10:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 404 Votes on 360 Posts
Originally Posted by emsgracesdad
It is a 1976 John Deere 300 garden tractor with a 48 mower that I am restoring so there isn't to many extra decks avaiable

I wondered why you chose to repair instead of replace, now we know

Old 12-29-05, 05:04 PM
S
I use wire wheels (go for the quality ones-you'll get less loose wires in your arm that way),and a few different types of 3M wheels (they've got some new ones that work great)...and also a grinding wheel (for the tough stuff), used with care, for rust removal

Sounds like you might want to check out Eastwood Co.'s Rust Encapuslator
I usually remove as much rust as I can before using it, but I have used it for years in places/situations where I couldn't
It works very well over rusty parts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: